• Video
  • Shop
  • Culture
  • Family
  • Wellness
  • Food
  • Living
  • Style
  • Travel
  • News
  • Book Club
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy Policy
  • Your US State Privacy Rights
  • Children's Online Privacy Policy
  • Interest-Based Ads
  • Terms of Use
  • Do Not Sell My Info
  • Contact Us
  • © 2026 ABC News
ABC News

US being 'humiliated' by Iran, German chancellor says

PHOTO: Vessels in the Strait of Hormuz, Musandam, Oman, April 27, 2026.
1:14
Reuters
Trump to hold national security meeting Monday on Iran, officials say
By David Brennan, Emily Shapiro, Leah Sarnoff, Nadine El-Bawab, Meredith Deliso, Jon Haworth
Last Updated: April 23, 2026, 4:38 PM

President Donald Trump announced "major combat operations" against Iran on Feb. 28, with massive joint U.S.-Israeli strikes targeting military, government and infrastructure sites.

Following the announcement of a two-week ceasefire, initial U.S.-Iran talks in Pakistan earlier this month failed to reach a peace deal.

Trump later announced the open-ended extension of the ceasefire and the continuation of the blockade until Iran's proposal is submitted and discussions are concluded "one way or the other."

Key Headlines

  • Rubio dismisses Iran peace proposal, stresses nuclear issue
  • Israel, Hezbollah trade strikes, accuse each other of violating ceasefire
  • Americans have no strategy, entire nation is being humiliated by Iran: German chancellor
Here's how the news is developing.

Apr 23, 2026 4:38 PM

CENTCOM says 33 ships have been turned around in blockade

U.S. Central Command said that 33 vessels have been turned back as part of its blockade on ships leaving from or heading to Iranian ports. Most of those ships have been oil tankers.


Apr 23, 2026 2:09 PM

Trump says Iran having a 'hard time' figuring out who is in charge

President Donald Trump indicated Thursday morning that there is no centralized leader in Iran right now, claiming that the government has been fractured between moderates and hardliners as the U.S. indefinitely extends its ceasefire with the country.

“Iran is having a very hard time figuring out who their leader is! They just don’t know!” Trump said in a social media post.

“The infighting is between the ‘Hardliners,’ who have been losing BADLY on the battlefield, and the ‘Moderates,’ who are not very moderate at all (but gaining respect!), is CRAZY!” he added.

Trump’s post comes days after the U.S. extended its ceasefire indefinitely, citing divisions within the Iranian government that are hindering negotiations on a peace deal.

Trump also again claimed that the U.S. has “total control” over the Strait of Hormuz even as Iranian attacks on merchant ships have continued this week and traffic through the region remains severely limited.

-ABC News' Nicholas Kerr


Apr 23, 2026 1:10 PM

Trump says he ordered Navy to 'shoot,' 'kill' boats putting mines in strait

President Donald Trump said in a Thursday social media post that he ordered the Navy to "shoot and kill" any boats putting mines in the waters of the Strait of Hormuz.

"I have ordered the United States Navy to shoot and kill any boat, small boats though they may be (Their naval ships are ALL, 159 of them, at the bottom of the sea!), that is putting mines in the waters of the Strait of Hormuz," Trump wrote.

"There is to be no hesitation. Additionally, our mine 'sweepers' are clearing the Strait right now. I am hereby ordering that activity to continue, but at a tripled up level!" Trump added.

There are currently no U.S. Navy ships in the Strait of Hormuz , but there are 17 U.S. Navy ships east of the strait in the Gulf of Oman and the Arabian Sea. So far, all of the previous attacks on Iranian mine-laying ships have been from the air.

The president’s post comes a day after the Washington Post reported that a Pentagon assessment found that clearing Iranian mines from the Strait of Hormuz could take as long as six months. 

It is currently unclear if Iranian mine-laying operations remain underway in the Strait amid the ceasefire. The regime previously declared that it had mined a wide swath of the strait off of the coast of Oman. 

-ABC News' Luis Martinez and Nicholas Kerr



Apr 23, 2026 12:26 PM

Iranian oil passing through US blockade, maritime tracking groups say

Cargo tracking group Vortexa told ABC News it identified 34 sanctioned or Iranian-linked ships moving in and out of the Gulf of Oman through the U.S. blockade of Iranian ports which came into effect on April 13.

Fifteen of those were inbound toward Iran, while 19 were outbound away from Iran.

Of the observed outbound movements, six of the ships were confirmed to be laden with approximately 10.7 million barrels of Iranian crude oil.

Financial Markets Wall Street
The Associated Press
Traders Jim Bodner, left, and Chris Lagana work on the floor of the New York Stock Exchange, Thursday, April 23, 2026. (AP Photo/Richard Drew)
The Associated Press

However, after Vortexa shared its data and media outlets named three of those ships, U.S. Central Command (CENTCOM) publicly refuted that the three named ships had evaded the blockade.

CENTCOM said two of those ships -- the Hero II and Hedy -- had returned to an Iranian port, and that the third -- the Dorena -- was "under the escort of a U.S. Navy destroyer in the Indian Ocean after previously attempting to violate the blockade."

It was not immediately clear whether the M/T Majestic X, which the U.S. announced Thursday it had interdicted in the Indian Ocean for carrying oil from Iran, was also one of the ships tracked as having moved through the blockade.

Vortexa said that the blockade is having some effect but, "based on observed vessel activity, flows have continued, although in a more constrained and selective environment."

TankerTrackers.com, a maritime intelligence company that tracks crude oil shipments, told ABC News that they observed nine shipments of Iranian oil pass through the U.S. blockade between April 13 and 20, one of which has been sent back to Iran.

Of the nine shipments, eight were tankers belonging to Iran's National Iranian Tanker Company and one was independently-owned.

-ABC News' Victoria Beaule and Chris Looft


Apr 24, 2026 11:16 AM

Iran's military commanders join government and parliament in show of unity after Trump's rift claim

The commander in chief of Iran's Army General Amir Hatami reiterated unity among the leaders of the Islamic Republic of Iran in a post on X on Friday, following President Donald Trump alleging a rift among Iranian leaders.

Hatami said all branches of power are united and "obedient" to the Supreme Leader, adding that they "will make the criminal aggressor regret."

"One God, one Leader, one Nation, one Path, and that is the path to the victory of dear Iran that is more precious than life," Hatami wrote.

In a separate note, commanders of the IRGC Navy and IRGC Aerospace Forces issued a joint message of unity on Thursday evening, saying the unity of the Islamic Republic leaders supports the armed forces as they prepare to fight.

Other top authorities of the country, including President Masoud Pezeshkian and parliament speaker and lead negotiator Mohammad Bagher Ghalibaf, shared similar post emphasizing unity among leaders on their X accounts.

These posts seem to be a response to President Trump’s post on Truth Social on Thursday, where he wrote there is infighting among the Iranian "hardliner" and "moderate" leaders.

-ABC News' Somayeh Malekian


GMA Newsletters

Sign up for our newsletters to get GMA delivered to your inbox every morning!

Up Next in news

PHOTO: Footage obtained by Storyful shows multiple Waymos driving down a street in an Atlanta neighborhood, circling a cul-de-sac and driving back up the street.

Empty Waymo vehicles swarm Atlanta cul-de-sac

May 15, 2026
PHOTO: Two people aboard a small plane are dead after the aircraft crashed into a house in Akron, Ohio, causing a fire, authorities said.

Homeowner speaks out after plane crashes into house, causing fire

May 15, 2026
PHOTO: General Motors CEO Mary Barra spoke with "Good Morning America" in a segment airing Friday.

GM CEO Mary Barra talks economy, AI and more

May 15, 2026

The latest lifestyle and entertainment news and inspiration for how to live your best life - all from Good Morning America.
  • Contests
  • Terms of Use
  • Privacy Policy
  • Do Not Sell My Info
  • Children’s Online Privacy Policy
  • Advertise with us
  • Your US State Privacy Rights
  • Interest-Based Ads
  • About Nielsen Measurement
  • Press
  • Feedback
  • Shop FAQs
  • ABC News
  • ABC
  • All Videos
  • All Topics
  • Sitemap

© 2026 ABC News
  • Privacy Policy— 
  • Your US State Privacy Rights— 
  • Children's Online Privacy Policy— 
  • Interest-Based Ads— 
  • Terms of Use— 
  • Do Not Sell My Info— 
  • Contact Us— 

© 2026 ABC News