• Video
  • Shop
  • Culture
  • Family
  • Wellness
  • Food
  • Living
  • Style
  • Travel
  • News
  • Book Club
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy Policy
  • Your US State Privacy Rights
  • Children's Online Privacy Policy
  • Interest-Based Ads
  • Terms of Use
  • Do Not Sell My Info
  • Contact Us
  • © 2026 ABC News
Live Updates
ABC News

Sean 'Diddy' Combs trial updates: Defense closes; deliberations set for Monday

PHOTO: Sean "Diddy" Combs listens as his lawyer Marc Agnifilo makes his closing arguments during Combs' sex trafficking trial in New York City, June 27, 2025 in this courtroom sketch.
2:17
Jane Rosenberg/Reuters
Lawyers make closing arguments in Sean ‘Diddy’ Combs trial
By Aaron Katersky
Last Updated: June 24, 2025, 8:00 PM

This story may contain accounts and descriptions of actual or alleged events that some readers may find disturbing.

Ongoing updates in the trial of Sean "Diddy" Combs.

Key Headlines

  • Prosecution finishes rebuttal as court adjourns
  • Prosecution refutes defense's characterization of so-called "freak offs" and Combs' generosity
  • Prosecution swats defense's assertion that there was no evidence to support prostitution charge
  • Defense concludes closing statements with plea for acquittal: 'Return him to his family'
  • Defense says there is a 'gaping lack of evidence' that a criminal enterprise run by Combs existed
Here's how the news is developing.

Pinned
Jul 02, 2025 2:50 PM

Sean Combs trial reaches an end with mixed verdict

The highly anticipated trial of hip-hop mogul Sean "Diddy" Combs has reached an end.

The jury found Sean Combs not guilty of racketeering conspiracy, the most serious charge.

The jury found Combs guilty of transportation to engage in prostitution (in connection with his ex-girlfriend Cassie Ventura) and guilty of transportation to engage in prostitution (in connection with his ex-girlfriend who testified under the pseudonym "Jane").

He was found not guilty of both charges of sex trafficking by force, fraud, or coercion in connection with Ventura and "Jane."

Combs was accused of being the ringleader of an alleged enterprise that "abused, threatened and coerced women" into prolonged, drug-fueled sexual orgies with male prostitutes, which he called "freak-offs," and then threatened them into silence. Combs has said that all of the sex was consensual and that while his relationships sometimes involved domestic violence, he wasn't engaged in trafficking.

Combs' lawyer, Marc Agnifilo, said Combs was simply part of the swinger lifestyle and that he "vehemently denies the accusations made by the SDNY."


Pinned
Jun 26, 2025 7:10 PM

Prosecution continues to focus on so-called 'freak-offs' in closing statement

For Cassie Ventura, violence at the hands of Sean Combs “became her normal,” federal prosecutor Christy Slavik asserted during the government’s closing argument.

Ventura experienced it and “saw and heard about the defendant attacking her friends,” Slavik said, naming Combs' former assistant "Mia"; longtime Ventura friend Bryana Bongolan; celebrity stylist Deonte Nash; and former Ventura Kerry Morgan.

“The defense asked why, if the violence was so bad, she didn’t leave. But you know why,” Slavik told the jury, telling them that fear overrides an inclination to flee.

“There was no safe space for Cassie,” Slavik said.

So-called "freak-off" sexual encounters were also part of Ventura's norm, according to Slavik, noting that Ventura had previously testified that they became like a job.

“'Freak-offs' did not occur in isolation. The defendant wanted them all the time,” Slavik said. While Ventura testified that she agreed to participate in the first one, Slavik told the jury it should be “no surprise” that Ventura came to despise them, reminding the jury they meant hours covered in baby oil, wearing uncomfortable outfits, and sometimes occurred when she had her menstrual period. Allegedly, Combs or an escort also would urinate on her, Slavik said.

Slavik said the "freak-offs" were a “turn on for him,” meaning Combs, but humiliating for Ventura.

“We’re not asking you to find that every 'freak-off' was an instance of sex trafficking but there were many she participated in because of his force, threats of force and coercion,” Slavik said. “That conduct is illegal. That conduct is sex trafficking.”

Slavik also asked jurors not to be “fooled” into thinking that what they saw on explicit video footage was “anything more than a performance,” with Ventura pretending to like the directions Combs was giving. Combs' defense has maintained that all sexual encounters were consensual.

Slavik walked the jury through one more play of the 2016 hotel security surveillance video footage in which Combs is depicted wearing only a towel and, Slavik said, "looks ridiculous.”

She said Combs was not, as the defense asserted, “out of his mind high on drugs” when he attacked Ventura. Rather, Slavik told the jury, the video shows Combs “in complete control of himself” while dealing with a security guard after the attack and trying to limit the damage to his reputation.

The footage depicted Combs dragging Ventura after attacking her to “finish the 'freak-off,'” Slavik said. “This incident should leave no doubt in your mind that the defendant committed trafficking.”


Jun 24, 2025 8:00 PM

Defense rests without calling any witnesses

The defense in the Sean Combs trial rested its case after calling no witnesses, electing only to read some items into the record.

PHOTO: Sean "Diddy" Combs and his defense lawyer Marc Agnifilo watch as Joseph Cerciello is questioned by defense lawyer Teny Geragos during Combs' sex trafficking trial in New York City, June 24, 2025
Jane Rosenberg/Reuters
Sean "Diddy" Combs and his defense lawyer Marc Agnifilo watch as Joseph Cerciello, a special agent for Homeland Security Investigations, is questioned by defense lawyer Teny Geragos during Combs' sex trafficking trial in New York City, June 24, 2025 in this courtroom sketch.
Jane Rosenberg/Reuters

Defense attorney Anna Estevao read several exchanges of text messages between Sean Combs and his ex-girlfriend Cassie Ventura that the defense asserts expressed Ventura’s love for Combs, even after years of what federal prosecutors argued was coerced sex with male escorts.

“Bottom line, I love you. You are important to me, and I know I will never have a love like this in this lifetime,” Ventura wrote in a 2012 message that was read into evidence. “Besides making love, talking to you is my favorite thing.”

In another message, Ventura told Combs, “I miss you.” Combs responded, “So what you going to do.” Ventura replied, “Be your lil freak.”

Defense attorney Teny Geragos read notes from law enforcement meetings with several witnesses, including Daniel Phillip, an escort.

Phillip testified that after a sexual encounter at Ventura’s home, Combs threw a bottle toward her and “grabbed her by her hair and dragged her by her hair into the bedroom” after she did not immediately get up from a computer to go into the bedroom as Combs had instructed. Phillip said Combs emerged from the bedroom a while later to ask him, “are you guys ready to continue?”

Geragos also read law enforcement notes from a meeting with Phillip that the defense contends indicate Combs said something else. “In approximately 2013, Phillip saw Ventura get physically assaulted. Combs eventually came back out and said ‘Yo man I’m going to have to deal with this. You need to get the f--- out,’” Geragos read.

Federal prosecutors declined to put on a rebuttal case.

Judge Arun Subramanian sent the jury home until Thursday with instructions to avoid any news about the case.


Jun 24, 2025 7:17 PM

Sean Combs says he will not testify

Sean Combs told Judge Arun Subramanian that he declined to testify on his own behalf.

“That is my decision with my lawyers,” Combs said.

The jury wasn't present when the judge spoke directly to Combs.

“How are you feeling today?” Subramanian asked Combs, who stood to answer.

“I’m doing great. How are you, your honor?" Combs responded. "I want to tell you thank you. You’re doing an excellent job.”

Subramanian responded, “Thank you.” He then continued with the allocution.

“Do you understand that as a criminal defendant you have the right to testify if you wish to testify?” the judge asked.

“Yes, your honor,” Combs responded.

“You’ve made the decision freely on your own behalf?” Subramanian asked.

“That is totally my decision,” Combs answered.

Beforehand, defense attorney Alexandra Shapiro took aim at several of the underlying criminal acts that federal prosecutors allege constituted the racketeering conspiracy charge that Combs faces.

Combs engaged in and attempted to engage in sex trafficking, forced labor, kidnapping, arson, bribery, narcotics offenses, enticement to engage in prostitution, and obstruction, according to the indictment.

PHOTO: Sean "Diddy" Combs and his defense lawyer Marc Agnifilo watch as Joseph Cerciello is questioned by defense lawyer Teny Geragos during Combs' sex trafficking trial in New York City, June 24, 2025
Jane Rosenberg/Reuters
Sean "Diddy" Combs and his defense lawyer Marc Agnifilo watch as Joseph Cerciello, a special agent for Homeland Security Investigations, is questioned by defense lawyer Teny Geragos during Combs' sex trafficking trial in New York City, June 24, 2025 in this courtroom sketch.
Jane Rosenberg/Reuters

For bribery, prosecutors relied on the testimony of Eddy Garcia, a security guard at the InterContinental Hotel in Los Angeles who testified that Combs paid him $100,000 cash for the closed-circuit surveillance system footage of Combs allegedly assaulting his then-girlfriend, Cassie Ventura, in a hallway of the hotel, fearing “if this got out it could ruin him,” according to Garcia's testimony.

The defense argued that the payment didn't constitute bribery.

“There’s no evidence that Mr. Combs had any intent to bribe any witness to withhold information from the police,” Shapiro said.

Shapiro also said that the firebombing damage to rapper Kid Cudi’s car, as seen in multiple photographs, could not be linked directly to Combs.

“There’s no evidence that Mr. Combs was involved in that arson,” Shapiro said, referring to one of the five potential predicate acts prosecutors allege amounts to racketeering.

Consistent with the defense’s opening statement, Shapiro urged the judge to find insufficient evidence to support the sex trafficking counts, emphasizing times when Ventura and Combs’ ex-girlfriend, who testified under the pseudonym “Jane,” said they enjoyed the sex that had with male escorts and did not feel coerced to engage in it.

“Domestic violence is not sex trafficking,” Shapiro said.


Jun 24, 2025 6:27 PM

Defense moves for acquittal

As soon as the government rested its case after calling 34 witnesses over nearly seven weeks, the defense asked the judge to immediately find Sean Combs not guilty of all the charges.

PHOTO: District Judge Arun Subramanian presides as Joseph Cerciello, a special agent for Homeland Security Investigations, is questioned by defense lawyer Teny Geragos during Sean "Diddy" Combs' sex trafficking trial in New York City, June 24, 2025.
Jane Rosenberg/Reuters
U.S. District Judge Arun Subramanian presides as Joseph Cerciello, a special agent for Homeland Security Investigations, is questioned by defense lawyer Teny Geragos during Sean "Diddy" Combs' sex trafficking trial in New York City, June 24, 2025 in this courtroom sketch.
Jane Rosenberg/Reuters

“The defense moves for a judgment of acquittal on all counts,” defense attorney Alexandra Shapiro said. “The government has failed to meet its burden.”

The jury was not in the room for the argument.

“The evidence does not establish that Mr. Combs conspired with any other person to violate the RICO statute,” Shapiro said. “They failed to show that any other individual actually conspired with him to conduct the affairs of this 20-year purported criminal enterprise.”

At most, the defense said, employees ran “personal errands” for Combs while he or his girlfriends booked the escorts for sexual encounters themselves.

PHOTO: Sean "Diddy" Combs and his defense lawyer Marc Agnifilo watch as Joseph Cerciello is questioned by defense lawyer Teny Geragos during Combs' sex trafficking trial in New York City, June 24, 2025
Jane Rosenberg/Reuters
Sean "Diddy" Combs and his defense lawyer Marc Agnifilo watch as Joseph Cerciello, a special agent for Homeland Security Investigations, is questioned by defense lawyer Teny Geragos during Combs' sex trafficking trial in New York City, June 24, 2025 in this courtroom sketch.
Jane Rosenberg/Reuters

“The assistants set up and cleaned hotel rooms but they didn’t know much if anything about what went on in those hotel rooms other than they used a lot of baby oil and AstroGlide,” Shapiro said.

Combs has been accused of sex trafficking by force, transportation to engage in prostitution, and racketeering conspiracy as part of a federal indictment originally filed in September 2024. He later faced two additional superseding indictments. Combs has pleaded not guilty to all of the charges.



Jun 24, 2025 6:01 PM

Prosecution rests their case

Federal prosecutors on Tuesday rested their case against Sean Combs.

“At this time, subject to confirming all of the government records are accurate in the record, the government rests,” prosecutor Emily Johnson said.

Toward the end of the defense cross-examination of Homeland Security Investigations Special Agent Joseph Cerciello, the jury watched additional excerpts of sex video recordings featuring Combs’ ex-girlfriend who testified under the pseudonym “Jane.”

PHOTO: Sean "Diddy" Combs waves to supporters as he arrives with his defense lawyers during Combs' sex trafficking trial in New York City, June 24, 2025 in this courtroom sketch.
Jane Rosenberg/Reuters
Sean "Diddy" Combs waves to supporters as he arrives with his defense lawyers during Combs' sex trafficking trial in New York City, June 24, 2025 in this courtroom sketch.
Jane Rosenberg/Reuters

The public monitors were turned off and the jury wore headphones so the public could not see or hear the footage. In total, the jury has seen about one hour of this footage during direct and cross-examinations of summary witnesses.

Defense attorney Teny Geragos also showed the jury various expenses paid by a corporate account but reimbursed by one of Combs’ personal accounts as the defense seeks to show a separation between the sexual performances and his businesses.

PHOTO: Defense lawyer Teny Geragos questions Joseph Cerciello, as Sean "Diddy" Combs and his defense lawyer Marc Agnifilo watch, during Combs' sex trafficking trial in New York City, June 24, 2025 in this courtroom sketch.
Jane Rosenberg/Reuters
Defense lawyer Teny Geragos questions Joseph Cerciello, a special agent for Homeland Security Investigations, as Sean "Diddy" Combs and his defense lawyer Marc Agnifilo watch, before U.S. District Judge Arun Subramanian during Combs' sex trafficking trial in New York City, June 24, 2025 in this courtroom sketch.
Jane Rosenberg/Reuters

On re-direct, however, Cerciello confirmed the records showed Combs paid for a male escort to cross state lines from Georgia to Florida.


Jun 26, 2025 7:10 PM

Prosecution continues to focus on so-called 'freak-offs' in closing statement

For Cassie Ventura, violence at the hands of Sean Combs “became her normal,” federal prosecutor Christy Slavik asserted during the government’s closing argument.

Ventura experienced it and “saw and heard about the defendant attacking her friends,” Slavik said, naming Combs' former assistant "Mia"; longtime Ventura friend Bryana Bongolan; celebrity stylist Deonte Nash; and former Ventura Kerry Morgan.

“The defense asked why, if the violence was so bad, she didn’t leave. But you know why,” Slavik told the jury, telling them that fear overrides an inclination to flee.

“There was no safe space for Cassie,” Slavik said.

So-called "freak-off" sexual encounters were also part of Ventura's norm, according to Slavik, noting that Ventura had previously testified that they became like a job.

“'Freak-offs' did not occur in isolation. The defendant wanted them all the time,” Slavik said. While Ventura testified that she agreed to participate in the first one, Slavik told the jury it should be “no surprise” that Ventura came to despise them, reminding the jury they meant hours covered in baby oil, wearing uncomfortable outfits, and sometimes occurred when she had her menstrual period. Allegedly, Combs or an escort also would urinate on her, Slavik said.

Slavik said the "freak-offs" were a “turn on for him,” meaning Combs, but humiliating for Ventura.

“We’re not asking you to find that every 'freak-off' was an instance of sex trafficking but there were many she participated in because of his force, threats of force and coercion,” Slavik said. “That conduct is illegal. That conduct is sex trafficking.”

Slavik also asked jurors not to be “fooled” into thinking that what they saw on explicit video footage was “anything more than a performance,” with Ventura pretending to like the directions Combs was giving. Combs' defense has maintained that all sexual encounters were consensual.

Slavik walked the jury through one more play of the 2016 hotel security surveillance video footage in which Combs is depicted wearing only a towel and, Slavik said, "looks ridiculous.”

She said Combs was not, as the defense asserted, “out of his mind high on drugs” when he attacked Ventura. Rather, Slavik told the jury, the video shows Combs “in complete control of himself” while dealing with a security guard after the attack and trying to limit the damage to his reputation.

The footage depicted Combs dragging Ventura after attacking her to “finish the 'freak-off,'” Slavik said. “This incident should leave no doubt in your mind that the defendant committed trafficking.”


GMA Newsletters

Sign up for our newsletters to get GMA delivered to your inbox every morning!

Up Next in news

PHOTO: Bert Gor and his daughter are speaking out after they say they were victims of an AI scam by a Lyft driver.

Father, daughter speak after Lyft driver is accused of using AI-generated image for damage claim

May 20, 2026
PHOTO: Philadelphia Police Sgt. Thomas Cain is credited with saving a toddler who was choking in a March 2026 incident at FDR Park in Philadelphia.

Police officer speaks out after rescuing choking toddler in incident caught on camera

May 20, 2026
PHOTO: ABC News' Rebecca Jarvis sits down with Demis Hassabis, CEO of Google's DeepMind Technologies, to discuss the future of AI.

Google DeepMind CEO says AI could unlock breakthroughs in medicine, energy and more

May 20, 2026

The latest lifestyle and entertainment news and inspiration for how to live your best life - all from Good Morning America.
  • Contests
  • Terms of Use
  • Privacy Policy
  • Do Not Sell My Info
  • Children’s Online Privacy Policy
  • Advertise with us
  • Your US State Privacy Rights
  • Interest-Based Ads
  • About Nielsen Measurement
  • Press
  • Feedback
  • Shop FAQs
  • ABC News
  • ABC
  • All Videos
  • All Topics
  • Sitemap

© 2026 ABC News
  • Privacy Policy— 
  • Your US State Privacy Rights— 
  • Children's Online Privacy Policy— 
  • Interest-Based Ads— 
  • Terms of Use— 
  • Do Not Sell My Info— 
  • Contact Us— 

© 2026 ABC News