• Video
  • Shop
  • Culture
  • Family
  • Wellness
  • Food
  • Living
  • Style
  • Travel
  • News
  • Book Club
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy Policy
  • Your US State Privacy Rights
  • Children's Online Privacy Policy
  • Interest-Based Ads
  • Terms of Use
  • Do Not Sell My Info
  • Contact Us
  • © 2026 ABC News
  • Living

Vinícius sorry for red card in Real Madrid win vs. Valencia

ByALEX KIRKLAND, RODRIGO FAEZ
January 03, 2025, 10:59 PM

Vinícius Júnior apologised after being sent off in Real Madrid's 2-1 comeback win over Valencia on Friday in the first LaLiga game of 2025.

Hugo Duro put Valencia ahead in the first half at Mestalla Stadium before an eventful second period saw Jude Bellingham miss a penalty -- hitting the post -- and Kylian Mbappé have a goal disallowed for offside.

Vinícius was shown a red card for striking Valencia keeper Stole Dimitrievski before substitute Luka Modric levelled for Madrid in the 85th minute and Bellingham scored a dramatic added-time winner.

The result means Madrid go ahead of Atlético Madrid at the top of the LaLiga table, two points clear of their rivals and having played a game more.

"Sorry, and thanks team!!!!!!" Vinícius  posted on X after the match.

The Brazil international reacted angrily when he was shown the red card in the 79th minute, and he was restrained from confronting referee Cesar Soto Grado by teammate Antonio Rüdiger and goalkeeping coach Luis Llopis.

"We think it wasn't a red card, it was two yellows," coach Carlo Ancelotti said in his postmatch news conference. "The team was able to react to the penalty miss and the disallowed goal. It's hard to explain how bad our first half was and how good the second half was. ... We can't show these two faces."

Vinicius has been sent off only twice for Real Madrid, with both dismissals coming at Mestalla. He was also red-carded in Madrid's 1-0 defeat to Valencia on May 21, 2023, a game in which he had earlier confronted a group of home fans for racially abusing him.

"We'll appeal [the dismissal]," Ancelotti said. "I don't know if they'll accept it. We think it wasn't a red. ... It was a touch from Dimitrievski and then a push from Vini. I think two yellows would have been enough ... I don't know if [Vini] can play our next game, let's hope so. He's still a decisive player for us."

Bellingham's penalty miss was the third time Madrid have failed to score from the spot this season, after Mbappé was unable to convert against Liverpool and Athletic Club.

"It annoys me that we've missed three penalties," Ancelotti said. "I'll have to choose who's going to take them."

England star Bellingham had an otherwise outstanding game, providing the passes for Mbappé's disallowed goal and Modric's equalizer before scoring himself in the 95th minute to give his side the win.

"A great game from him," Ancelotti said. "The missed penalty gave him extra motivation. His last 20 minutes showed what only he can do ... [the goal] was a reward for the game he had."

Up Next in Living—

Booksellers share AANHPI book picks from debut mystery to surreal short stories

May 20, 2026

Service dog steals the spotlight at college graduation ceremony

May 19, 2026

Costco patio swings recalled after reports of injuries from falls

May 19, 2026

$10k San Francisco treasure hunt: What to know about the hunt and controversy

May 18, 2026

Shop GMA Favorites

ABC will receive a commission for purchases made through these links.

Sponsored Content by Taboola

The latest lifestyle and entertainment news and inspiration for how to live your best life - all from Good Morning America.
  • Contests
  • Terms of Use
  • Privacy Policy
  • Do Not Sell My Info
  • Children’s Online Privacy Policy
  • Advertise with us
  • Your US State Privacy Rights
  • Interest-Based Ads
  • About Nielsen Measurement
  • Press
  • Feedback
  • Shop FAQs
  • ABC News
  • ABC
  • All Videos
  • All Topics
  • Sitemap

© 2026 ABC News
  • Privacy Policy— 
  • Your US State Privacy Rights— 
  • Children's Online Privacy Policy— 
  • Interest-Based Ads— 
  • Terms of Use— 
  • Do Not Sell My Info— 
  • Contact Us— 

© 2026 ABC News