• Video
  • Shop
  • Culture
  • Family
  • Wellness
  • Food
  • Living
  • Style
  • Travel
  • News
  • Book Club
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy Policy
  • Your US State Privacy Rights
  • Children's Online Privacy Policy
  • Interest-Based Ads
  • Terms of Use
  • Do Not Sell My Info
  • Contact Us
  • © 2026 ABC News
  • News

Afghan girls robotics team arrives in US following Trump's visa intervention

0:42
Trump intervenes to allow Afghan girls to come to US
Byby LUCIEN BRUGGEMAN
July 15, 2017, 5:29 AM

— -- The all-girl robotics team from Afghanistan which was twice denied visas to enter the U.S. for a competition, but were then given the go-ahead earlier this week after President Trump intervened, arrived shortly after midnight on Saturday at Dulles International Airport outside Washington, D.C.

The young women are in the U.S. for the inaugural FIRST Global Challenge, in which teams of young women and men from around the world showcase robots they created. The three-day competition kicks off Sunday at Washington's DAR Constitution Hall.

The team arrived at Dulles to a crowd of supporters, as well as the U.S. State Department's acting assistant secretary for south and central Asian affairs, Alice G. Wells, and Afghanistan's Ambassador to the U.S., Hamdullah Mohib.

"The plane just landed," Mohib tweeted at 12:13 a.m. "The girls will be out soon to begin their journey through D.C. in a few minutes."

The Afghan embassy also tweeted photos of the team's supporters awaiting their arrival at Dulles.

Related Articles

Afghan girls robotics team denied US visas to attend competition in Washington, DC

Related Articles

President Trump intervenes to allow Afghan girls to come to US to participate in robotics competition

The six girls from western Afghanistan's Herat region had twice been denied visas to enter the country by the U.S. State Department, although the reason was never publicly disclosed. Still, many critics pointed to Trump's travel ban executive order and his administration's policies, which some perceive as hostile to some foreigners, for the girls' denial of entry.

On Wednesday, a senior administration official told ABC News that President Trump had intervened on the girls’ behalf to allow them to compete.

"The State Department worked incredibly well with the Department of Homeland Security to ensure that this case was reviewed and handled appropriately," Dina Powell, deputy national security adviser for strategy, said in a statement following the president's intervention. "We could not be prouder of this delegation of young women who are also scientists -- they represent the best of the Afghan people and embody the promise that their aspirations can be fulfilled. They are future leaders of Afghanistan and strong ambassadors for their country."

Up Next in News—

What to know about 'Lulu's Law' requiring emergency shark attack notifications

May 21, 2026

Father, daughter speak after Lyft driver is accused of using AI-generated image for damage claim

May 20, 2026

Police officer speaks out after rescuing choking toddler in incident caught on camera

May 20, 2026

Google DeepMind CEO says AI could unlock breakthroughs in medicine, energy and more

May 20, 2026

Shop GMA Favorites

ABC will receive a commission for purchases made through these links.

Sponsored Content by Taboola

The latest lifestyle and entertainment news and inspiration for how to live your best life - all from Good Morning America.
  • Contests
  • Terms of Use
  • Privacy Policy
  • Do Not Sell My Info
  • Children’s Online Privacy Policy
  • Advertise with us
  • Your US State Privacy Rights
  • Interest-Based Ads
  • About Nielsen Measurement
  • Press
  • Feedback
  • Shop FAQs
  • ABC News
  • ABC
  • All Videos
  • All Topics
  • Sitemap

© 2026 ABC News
  • Privacy Policy— 
  • Your US State Privacy Rights— 
  • Children's Online Privacy Policy— 
  • Interest-Based Ads— 
  • Terms of Use— 
  • Do Not Sell My Info— 
  • Contact Us— 

© 2026 ABC News