• Video
  • Shop
  • Culture
  • Family
  • Wellness
  • Food
  • Living
  • Style
  • Travel
  • News
  • Book Club
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy Policy
  • Your US State Privacy Rights
  • Children's Online Privacy Policy
  • Interest-Based Ads
  • Terms of Use
  • Do Not Sell My Info
  • Contact Us
  • © 2026 ABC News
  • News

Appeals court lifts order on Portland National Guard, deployment still blocked

2:35
Standoff over National Guard intensifies
Ethan Swope/AP
ByPeter Charalambous
October 08, 2025, 9:24 PM

In a move that does not change the situation on the ground in Portland, the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals has temporarily lifted a lower court's order blocking the deployment of Oregon National Guard troops to the city.

However, a broader order that prohibits any state's National Guard from deploying into Portland remains in effect.

Federal enforcement officers stand guard near a U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement facility in Portland, Ore., Oct. 6, 2025.
Ethan Swope/AP

The administrative stay only applies to Saturday's order from U.S. District Judge Karin Immergut prohibiting the deployment of the Oregon National Guard into the Portland area. The Ninth Circuit did not consider the strength of either side's legal argument, only issuing a stay to minimize harm while the court deliberates.

Related Articles

MORE: Portland police chief pushes back on White House 'war zone' narrative

Immergut's more sweeping order from Sunday night – which prohibits any state's National Guard from going into Portland – remains in effect. The Trump administration has not formally appealed or challenged the Sunday order.

"In the circumstances here, granting an administrative stay will best preserve the status quo. Prior to the October 4 temporary restraining order, Oregon National Guard members had been federalized but not deployed," the court wrote.

Related Articles

MORE: Judge to block 'relocation, federalization, or deployment' of any National Guard to Oregon

The Ninth Circuit is hearing oral arguments for a stay pending appeal on Thursday.

On Sunday, during an unusual late-night hearing, Immergut said she was "troubled" by the Trump administration's attempt to work around her earlier court order prohibiting the deployment of the Oregon National Guard to Portland.

Her order on Saturday concluded that conditions in Portland were "not significantly violent or disruptive" to justify a federal takeover of the National Guard, and that the president's claims about the city were "simply untethered to the facts."

Up Next in News—

Father, daughter speak after Lyft driver is accused of using AI-generated image for damage claim

May 20, 2026

Police officer speaks out after rescuing choking toddler in incident caught on camera

May 20, 2026

Google DeepMind CEO says AI could unlock breakthroughs in medicine, energy and more

May 20, 2026

2 suspects identified in stunt at enclosure of viral monkey Punch

May 19, 2026

Shop GMA Favorites

ABC will receive a commission for purchases made through these links.

Sponsored Content by Taboola

The latest lifestyle and entertainment news and inspiration for how to live your best life - all from Good Morning America.
  • Contests
  • Terms of Use
  • Privacy Policy
  • Do Not Sell My Info
  • Children’s Online Privacy Policy
  • Advertise with us
  • Your US State Privacy Rights
  • Interest-Based Ads
  • About Nielsen Measurement
  • Press
  • Feedback
  • Shop FAQs
  • ABC News
  • ABC
  • All Videos
  • All Topics
  • Sitemap

© 2026 ABC News
  • Privacy Policy— 
  • Your US State Privacy Rights— 
  • Children's Online Privacy Policy— 
  • Interest-Based Ads— 
  • Terms of Use— 
  • Do Not Sell My Info— 
  • Contact Us— 

© 2026 ABC News