• Video
  • Shop
  • Culture
  • Family
  • Wellness
  • Food
  • Living
  • Style
  • Travel
  • News
  • Book Club
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy Policy
  • Your US State Privacy Rights
  • Children's Online Privacy Policy
  • Interest-Based Ads
  • Terms of Use
  • Do Not Sell My Info
  • Contact Us
  • © 2026 ABC News
  • News

Briton Ian Redmond Killed by Shark: Wife 'Didn't Really Think There Would Be Sharks in the Seychelles'

ByNINA TERRERO
August 18, 2011, 10:05 PM

Aug. 18, 2011— -- Widowed bride Gemma Houghton says that one of the reasons she and her husband Ian Redmond chose to honeymoon in the Seychelles was because they had been assured there were no dangerous animals in its deep, clear waters.

"We didn't really think that sharks would be in the Seychelles at all," Houghton told the BBC. "It wasn't something we were aware of."

Redmond, 30, was snorkeling in tranquil waters of Anse Lazio beach on the island of Praslin Tuesday when the shark attacked.

Houghton could see his bright orange snorkel gear from where she had been sunning on the beach when her husband began screaming for help, she said.

"All of the sudden, I heard 'Help!' and I thought at first he was sneezing," said Houghton.

"It was the most awful scream, and I can still hear it when I close my eyes," she said. "He's never screamed like that before because he's such a strong man, such a strong man, so brave."

Houghton said that her husband was conscious when he was brought to the shore by speedboat.

"He looked me in the eyes and said, 'Alright,'" she said. "I could see a mixture in his eyes of fear and a realization, a relief that he had seen me, that I was there. I think I told him I loved him very much. I hope I did."

Redmond died in a hospital shortly afterwards from blood loss.

New Widow Describes Husband Ian Redmond's Death by Shark Attack

Houghton told the BBC that that the despite the horrific accident, "the last thing I would want is for any of these events to affect the Seychelles people, their livelihoods and the tourism in the area. It's a beautiful place. People must come."

"It's a one-off accident and I know that everyone is doing everything they can to ensure that the islands are safe."

The couple, who had wed on Aug. 6, are one of thousands of couples who flock to the Indian Ocean islands from Europe annually. Newlyweds Prince William and Kate Middleton visited North Island in the Seychelles for their honeymoon earlier this year.

Up Next in News—

Rip current risk at onset of Memorial Day Weekend: How to stay safe

May 22, 2026

What to know about 'Lulu's Law' requiring emergency shark attack notifications

May 21, 2026

Father, daughter speak after Lyft driver is accused of using AI-generated image for damage claim

May 20, 2026

Police officer speaks out after rescuing choking toddler in incident caught on camera

May 20, 2026

Shop GMA Favorites

ABC will receive a commission for purchases made through these links.

Sponsored Content by Taboola

The latest lifestyle and entertainment news and inspiration for how to live your best life - all from Good Morning America.
  • Contests
  • Terms of Use
  • Privacy Policy
  • Do Not Sell My Info
  • Children’s Online Privacy Policy
  • Advertise with us
  • Your US State Privacy Rights
  • Interest-Based Ads
  • About Nielsen Measurement
  • Press
  • Feedback
  • Shop FAQs
  • ABC News
  • ABC
  • All Videos
  • All Topics
  • Sitemap

© 2026 ABC News
  • Privacy Policy— 
  • Your US State Privacy Rights— 
  • Children's Online Privacy Policy— 
  • Interest-Based Ads— 
  • Terms of Use— 
  • Do Not Sell My Info— 
  • Contact Us— 

© 2026 ABC News