• Video
  • Shop
  • Culture
  • Family
  • Wellness
  • Food
  • Living
  • Style
  • Travel
  • News
  • Book Club
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy Policy
  • Your US State Privacy Rights
  • Children's Online Privacy Policy
  • Interest-Based Ads
  • Terms of Use
  • Do Not Sell My Info
  • Contact Us
  • © 2026 ABC News
  • News

Brock Long, head of Federal Emergency Management Agency, announces he's leaving the agency

6:38
News headlines today: Feb. 13, 2019
REX/Shutterstock
ByAnne Flaherty
February 13, 2019, 10:49 PM

Brock Long, the head of the Federal Emergency Management Agency who oversaw the U.S. response to some of the most devastating hurricanes and wildfires in history, announced Thursday he is leaving the agency to spend more time with his family.

Long was chosen by President Donald Trump to lead FEMA and was confirmed by the Senate in 2017. Since then, he oversaw the federal response to more than 220 declared disasters, including six major hurricanes and five wildfires.

Federal Emergency Management Agency Director Brock Long participates in a briefing on Hurricane Florence at The White House in Washington, DC, Sept. 11, 2018.
REX/Shutterstock

Among the biggest storms under Long's watch was Hurricane Maria in Puerto Rico. The 2017 storm caused some $140 billion in economic damage, and according to one independent study, was tied to the deaths of some 2,975 people.

In its own after-action report, FEMA’s leadership acknowledged it "could have better anticipated that the severity of hurricanes Irma and Maria would cause long-term, significant damage" to Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands.

Related Articles

(MORE: Underprepared, understaffed, and uninformed -- FEMA audit faults agency response to 2017 hurricanes)

"While this has been the opportunity of the lifetime, it is time for me to go home to my family -- my beautiful wife and two incredible boys," Long said in a statement.

Last fall, an internal investigation concluded that Long improperly used government resources to commute to his home in Hickory, North Carolina. At the time, Long said any wrongdoing was unintentional and that "doing something unethical is not part of my DNA."

Related Articles

(MORE: A year later, Puerto Rico still recovering from Hurricane Maria)

The Department of Homeland Security inspector general found that Long’s unauthorized use of transportation cost the government $94,000 in staff salaries, $55,000 in travel expenses and about $2,000 in operations and maintenance.

Related Articles

(MORE: FEMA Administrator Brock Long chastised for using government vehicles)

Homeland Security Secretary Kirstjen Nielsen acknowledged that the use of government vehicles was "established practice" by other FEMA administrators. But because Long’s commute home was several hours away, he promised to reimburse the government for use of the vehicles.

In a statement released Wednesday, Nielsen said Long "has admirably led the men and women of FEMA during very difficult, historic and complex times."

Deputy Administrator Pete Gaynor was expected to become acting administrator.

Up Next in News—

Rip current risk at onset of Memorial Day Weekend: How to stay safe

May 22, 2026

What to know about 'Lulu's Law' requiring emergency shark attack notifications

May 21, 2026

Father, daughter speak after Lyft driver is accused of using AI-generated image for damage claim

May 20, 2026

Police officer speaks out after rescuing choking toddler in incident caught on camera

May 20, 2026

Shop GMA Favorites

ABC will receive a commission for purchases made through these links.

Sponsored Content by Taboola

The latest lifestyle and entertainment news and inspiration for how to live your best life - all from Good Morning America.
  • Contests
  • Terms of Use
  • Privacy Policy
  • Do Not Sell My Info
  • Children’s Online Privacy Policy
  • Advertise with us
  • Your US State Privacy Rights
  • Interest-Based Ads
  • About Nielsen Measurement
  • Press
  • Feedback
  • Shop FAQs
  • ABC News
  • ABC
  • All Videos
  • All Topics
  • Sitemap

© 2026 ABC News
  • Privacy Policy— 
  • Your US State Privacy Rights— 
  • Children's Online Privacy Policy— 
  • Interest-Based Ads— 
  • Terms of Use— 
  • Do Not Sell My Info— 
  • Contact Us— 

© 2026 ABC News