• Video
  • Shop
  • Culture
  • Family
  • Wellness
  • Food
  • Living
  • Style
  • Travel
  • News
  • Book Club
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy Policy
  • Your US State Privacy Rights
  • Children's Online Privacy Policy
  • Interest-Based Ads
  • Terms of Use
  • Do Not Sell My Info
  • Contact Us
  • © 2026 ABC News
  • News

California hits Uber with $59 million fine over sex assault data

1:28
Headlines from ABC News Live
Los Angeles Times via Getty Images, FILE
Catherine Thorbecke
ByCatherine Thorbecke
December 15, 2020, 5:46 PM

California regulators hit Uber with a $59 million fine for allegedly refusing to provide more detailed information about sexual assault and harassment claims.

An administrative judge upheld the fine Monday, saying that Uber's permits in California could be suspended if it failed to pay the fine and cooperate with the California Public Utilities Commission.

The fines stemmed from information on sexual assault and harassment cases that Uber self-reported in its 2019 U.S. Safety Report. The precedent-setting report said Uber received nearly 6,000 claims of sexual assault from both riders and drivers in 2017 and 2018.

Related Articles

MORE: Appeals court grants stay for Uber and Lyft to continue operations in California

An Uber spokesperson told ABC News that the CPUC was demanding private information about sexual assault survivors without their consent before it slapped the company with the fine and eventually "changed its tune."

Passengers connect with Uber drivers at LAX airport in Los Angeles, Aug. 20, 2020.
Los Angeles Times via Getty Images, FILE

"In December 2019, we were the first company in the industry to release a U.S. Safety Report. Since then, the CPUC has been insistent in its demands that we release the full names and contact information of sexual assault survivors without their consent," an Uber company spokesperson said in a statement. "We opposed this shocking violation of privacy, alongside many victims’ rights advocates."

"Now, a year later, the CPUC has changed its tune: we can provide anonymized information -- yet we are also subject to a $59 million fine for not complying with the very order the CPUC has fundamentally altered," the statement added. "These punitive and confusing actions will do nothing to improve public safety and will only create a chilling effect as other companies consider releasing their own reports. Transparency should be encouraged, not punished."

Related Articles

MORE: Uber riders who violate face covering policy must soon take mask selfie for service

The CPUC declined ABC News' request for comment Tuesday morning, saying the ruling speaks for itself.

While the CPUC said in public filings it will now work with Uber to anonymize personal information about survivors, it is still asking the ridehailing service to pay the fine.

Up Next in News—

2 suspects identified in stunt at enclosure of viral monkey Punch

May 19, 2026

Climber who survived avalanche on Mount Everest speaks out as he attempts to set a new world record

May 18, 2026

Doctors group releases new drowning prevention recommendations

May 18, 2026

Empty Waymo vehicles swarm Atlanta cul-de-sac

May 15, 2026

Shop GMA Favorites

ABC will receive a commission for purchases made through these links.

Sponsored Content by Taboola

The latest lifestyle and entertainment news and inspiration for how to live your best life - all from Good Morning America.
  • Contests
  • Terms of Use
  • Privacy Policy
  • Do Not Sell My Info
  • Children’s Online Privacy Policy
  • Advertise with us
  • Your US State Privacy Rights
  • Interest-Based Ads
  • About Nielsen Measurement
  • Press
  • Feedback
  • Shop FAQs
  • ABC News
  • ABC
  • All Videos
  • All Topics
  • Sitemap

© 2026 ABC News
  • Privacy Policy— 
  • Your US State Privacy Rights— 
  • Children's Online Privacy Policy— 
  • Interest-Based Ads— 
  • Terms of Use— 
  • Do Not Sell My Info— 
  • Contact Us— 

© 2026 ABC News