• Video
  • Shop
  • Culture
  • Family
  • Wellness
  • Food
  • Living
  • Style
  • Travel
  • News
  • Book Club
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy Policy
  • Your US State Privacy Rights
  • Children's Online Privacy Policy
  • Interest-Based Ads
  • Terms of Use
  • Do Not Sell My Info
  • Contact Us
  • © 2026 ABC News
  • News

Controlled demolition takes down 1 crane looming over New Orleans Hard Rock Hotel

0:55
Hard Rock hotel crane brought down in New Orleans
WGNO
ByJulia Jacobo
October 20, 2019, 10:21 PM

Crews have conducted a controlled demolition at the Hard Rock Hotel in New Orleans to bring down two cranes standing at the site.

Video of the demolition showed a brief explosion followed by one of the cranes toppling to the ground. The other crane appeared to remain standing after the smoke cleared.

Officials said at a news conference Sunday afternoon that the building is "more secure now" than it was before the demolition.

"I do not think it could have gone much better," said New Orleans Fire Department Chief Timothy McConnell, adding that the situation is "way better than what it looks" like.

Related Articles

(MORE: New Orleans will use explosives to bring down cranes at Hard Rock Hotel that collapsed)

A rear portion of one of the cranes hit a sewer line on the ground but missed an electrical and gas line, which were the main concerns for the engineers, McConnell said. The crane that remains on top of the building is now more stable and will be cut down piece by piece, he said.

Three windows at the nearby Saenger Theatre were broken, but it is unclear whether other surrounding buildings sustained any damage, New Orleans Mayor LaToya Cantrell told reporters.

Two large cranes from the Hard Rock Hotel construction collapse come crashing down after being detonated for implosion in New Orleans, Oct. 20, 2019.
Gerald Herbert/AP

The next objective for crews is to retrieve the remains of two of the victims who died last weekend and then to assess a plan to demolish the structure completely, Cantrell said.

Three workers were killed and dozens more people were injured after the cranes collapsed on Oct. 12. The bodies that are still inside the building are expected to still be in the same place as before, McConnell said.

Related Articles

(MORE: Victims of Hard Rock Hotel collapse file lawsuit alleging negligence)

The cranes were a source of major concern as they continued to sway after the accident.

The demolition was originally planned for Friday but was delayed until Sunday. The delay came after city officials determined that the cranes were more damaged than previously thought.

A controlled demolition brought down one of the cranes standing atop the Hard Rock Hotel in New Orleans, Oct. 20, 2019.
WGNO

City officials ordered an evacuation of the area surrounding the partially collapsed hotel, located on the edge of the historic French Quarter, on Sunday morning. Demolition crews attached small explosives known as energetic materials to the cranes in an effort to bring them down in the same place as where they were standing several stories above the ground.

Related Articles

(MORE: Search underway for unaccounted person after Hard Rock Hotel partially collapsed)

One crane stood at about 270 feet high and the other at about 300 feet high, The Associated Press reported.

Ten of the injured victims have filed a lawsuit against five companies involved in the construction.

ABC News' Darren Reynolds and Ella Torres contributed to this report.

Up Next in News—

Rip current risk at onset of Memorial Day Weekend: How to stay safe

May 22, 2026

What to know about 'Lulu's Law' requiring emergency shark attack notifications

May 21, 2026

Father, daughter speak after Lyft driver is accused of using AI-generated image for damage claim

May 20, 2026

Police officer speaks out after rescuing choking toddler in incident caught on camera

May 20, 2026

Shop GMA Favorites

ABC will receive a commission for purchases made through these links.

Sponsored Content by Taboola

The latest lifestyle and entertainment news and inspiration for how to live your best life - all from Good Morning America.
  • Contests
  • Terms of Use
  • Privacy Policy
  • Do Not Sell My Info
  • Children’s Online Privacy Policy
  • Advertise with us
  • Your US State Privacy Rights
  • Interest-Based Ads
  • About Nielsen Measurement
  • Press
  • Feedback
  • Shop FAQs
  • ABC News
  • ABC
  • All Videos
  • All Topics
  • Sitemap

© 2026 ABC News
  • Privacy Policy— 
  • Your US State Privacy Rights— 
  • Children's Online Privacy Policy— 
  • Interest-Based Ads— 
  • Terms of Use— 
  • Do Not Sell My Info— 
  • Contact Us— 

© 2026 ABC News