• Video
  • Shop
  • Culture
  • Family
  • Wellness
  • Food
  • Living
  • Style
  • Travel
  • News
  • Book Club
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy Policy
  • Your US State Privacy Rights
  • Children's Online Privacy Policy
  • Interest-Based Ads
  • Terms of Use
  • Do Not Sell My Info
  • Contact Us
  • © 2026 ABC News
  • News

Former Cuomo aide who accused gov. of sexual misconduct, reacts to AG's probe results

4:23
Former Cuomo aide talks sexual harassment claim
Elizabeth Frantz/The New York Times, FILE
ByAryana Azari
August 04, 2021, 12:07 PM

Charlotte Bennett, a former aide to New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo and one of the 11 women accusing him of sexual misconduct, is calling for the governor's immediate impeachment.

"September is not soon enough," Bennett, 25, said Wednesday on "Good Morning America." "This needs to happen now. He's a danger."

On Aug. 3, a monthslong probe by New York State Attorney General Letitia James found that Cuomo sexually harassed multiple women, including current and former state employees. Following the announcement, Cuomo released a recorded video in which he denied any sexual misconduct and addressed Bennett directly.

"It wasn't an apology and he didn't take accountability for his actions," Bennett said. "He blamed me and said that I simply misinterpreted what he had said."

New York Governor Andrew Cuomo makes a statement in this screen grab taken from a pre-recorded video released by Office of the NY Governor, in New York, Aug. 3, 2021.
Office Of Gov. Andrew M. Cuomo via Reuters

Related Articles

MORE: Cuomo impeachment inquiry: How an investigation and trial would unfold

In February of this year, Bennett lodged a harassment complaint, saying that the governor asked her inappropriate questions and made her feel uncomfortable.

"His line of questioning was not appropriate," she said. "He was coming onto me and he insinuated that survivors of trauma and sexual assault can't tell the difference between mentorship and leadership and sexual harassment itself — which is not only insulting to me but every survivor who listened to him yesterday."

She added, "The victim blaming is not OK."

After her experience with the governor last year, Bennett said she left her job.

"I was really living in a state of anxiety and panic," she said.

Related Articles

MORE: Biden calls on NY governor Cuomo to resign

Bennett's complaint was the second of two sexual misconduct accusations against Cuomo at the time and it sparked the attorney general investigation. The first person to accuse Cuomo, Lindsey Boylan, tweeted her allegations in December 2020.

"I actually DM'ed her on Twitter and we had a private conversation in which I told her what I was experiencing and why I left public service earlier that same year," Bennett said. "And, you know, when there are two women, there are more than two. We know from experience that it's not just one person and that's why we need to believe every woman who makes these allegations."

Bennett believes the information didn't come out sooner because Cuomo has been an "establishment political figure for so long."

"He rules by fear," she said. "He’s scary. I was scared. I didn’t know where to turn. When I was still working in New York state, I vowed to myself to never speak of this — I was horrified in the moment."

Former New York Governor Andrew Cuomo aide Lindsey Boylan at Washington Square Park, March 20, 2021, in New York City.
David Dee Delgado/Getty Images, FILE

Related Articles

MORE: Timeline: Investigation alleges New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo sexually harassed women

After watching Cuomo's response to the attorney general's findings, Bennett said she felt "overwhelmed but mostly vindicated."

"I had just listened to the New York State attorney general tell me and the 10 other women that we were believed ... that was powerful and so much more important than anything the governor had to say," she said. "It has been a really long road but yesterday was the start to something new and I'm just happy that we had the investigation we deserved."

Bennett is now calling on Assembly Speaker Carl Heastie to push for Cuomo's impeachment.

"Based on his apology, which was not much of an apology at all yesterday, it seems like he's not living in reality so it's up to us to take action," she said. "It's really the responsibility of Assembly Speaker Carl Heastie to impeach him immediately."

Related Articles

MORE: Meet the woman who could succeed Cuomo

As a result of the attorney general's findings, the Albany district attorney has opened up a criminal investigation as well.

Debra Katz, Bennett's attorney, said Bennett has done "a heroic and courageous act of coming forward and cooperating fully with the investigators." Katz echoed Bennett's statement that Cuomo is "not living in reality" and that it's up to the New York legislature to take "decisive action to impeach him."

"His performance yesterday was belligerent and made it clear he is unfit to serve," Katz said on "GMA." "He still does not get it. He still wants to blame the victim."

Related Topics

  • Andrew Cuomo

Up Next in News—

What to know about 'Lulu's Law' requiring emergency shark attack notifications

May 21, 2026

Father, daughter speak after Lyft driver is accused of using AI-generated image for damage claim

May 20, 2026

Police officer speaks out after rescuing choking toddler in incident caught on camera

May 20, 2026

Google DeepMind CEO says AI could unlock breakthroughs in medicine, energy and more

May 20, 2026

Shop GMA Favorites

ABC will receive a commission for purchases made through these links.

Sponsored Content by Taboola

The latest lifestyle and entertainment news and inspiration for how to live your best life - all from Good Morning America.
  • Contests
  • Terms of Use
  • Privacy Policy
  • Do Not Sell My Info
  • Children’s Online Privacy Policy
  • Advertise with us
  • Your US State Privacy Rights
  • Interest-Based Ads
  • About Nielsen Measurement
  • Press
  • Feedback
  • Shop FAQs
  • ABC News
  • ABC
  • All Videos
  • All Topics
  • Sitemap

© 2026 ABC News
  • Privacy Policy— 
  • Your US State Privacy Rights— 
  • Children's Online Privacy Policy— 
  • Interest-Based Ads— 
  • Terms of Use— 
  • Do Not Sell My Info— 
  • Contact Us— 

© 2026 ABC News