• Video
  • Shop
  • Culture
  • Family
  • Wellness
  • Food
  • Living
  • Style
  • Travel
  • News
  • Book Club
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy Policy
  • Your US State Privacy Rights
  • Children's Online Privacy Policy
  • Interest-Based Ads
  • Terms of Use
  • Do Not Sell My Info
  • Contact Us
  • © 2026 ABC News
  • News

Devastation in France: What We Know About The Paris Attacks

9:14
Paris Terror Attack Survivors Describe Scene Inside Concert Hall
Christian Hartmann/Reuters
ByEMILY KNAPP and EMILY SHAPIRO
November 14, 2015, 10:30 PM

— -- A wave of devastating attacks on civilians across Paris Friday night has left at least 129 dead, including an American, and many more injured.

As France initiates a state of emergency and begins several days of mourning, here is a breakdown of what we know so far:

Related Articles

Paris Attacks: Grief and Heartbreak Around the World

Related Articles

Inside the Stade de France Hit By Multiple Explosions in Paris Attacks

Related Articles

Eagles of Death Metal Searching For Band and Crew After Attack on Paris Concert Hall

Related Articles

American Tourist in Paris Describes Hearing Shooting During Attack

Where

Six separate attacks were carried out across Paris, beginning after 10 p.m. local time Friday night.

One of the targets was the Stade de France soccer stadium, where Germany was playing France in a game that French President Francois Hollande was attending. Hollande was evacuated from the stadium.

A French supporter reacts after invading the pitch of the Stade de France stadium at the end of a soccer match between France and Germany in Saint Denis, outside Paris, Nov. 13, 2015.

At least 80 were killed inside the Bataclan concert hall, where American rock band Eagles of Death Metal was playing. A witness in the theater told ABC News she heard gunmen shout "Syria!"

The four other attacks were at other locations in the 10th and 11th districts of Paris, where gunmen targeted bars and restaurants. Police said some attackers first sprayed cafes outside the venue with machine gunfire before continuing the assault inside the concert hall.

A woman is evacuated from the Bataclan theater after a shooting in Paris, Nov. 13, 2015.

The Victims

At least 129 people were killed and 352 were injured, Paris prosecutor François Molins said.

Of the injured, 99 were in critical condition, said Molins.

An American college student studying abroad in Paris was among those killed.

Forensic experts inspect the site of an attack at a restaurant outside the Stade de France stadium in Saint-Denis, north of Paris, on Nov. 14, 2015.
A policeman stands guard near the Boulevard des Filles-du-Calvaire after an attack, Nov, 13, 2015 in Paris.

The Attackers

Hollande blamed terror group ISIS for the attacks, which he called “an act of war.”

Molins said today seven "terrorists were killed during their criminal actions." Earlier, ISIS had claimed eight "brothers" took part in the operation, the same number of attackers seen in early local media reports.

Molins said three teams of attackers coordinated the attacks. He said the attackers in the Bataclan concert hall mentioned Syria and Iraq during the attacks. One suspect was identified as a 30-year-old French citizen.

All suicide attackers wore identical explosives vests, said Molins.

One suicide attacker, identified by a Syrian passport found near his body at the national stadium, was not known to French intelligence services, Molins said.

Belgium's federal prosecutor's office said authorities have made three arrests linked to the attacks.

ISIS today released a statement claiming responsibility for the attack. In an audio statement released online in Arabic and French, the group said ISIS "soldiers" targeted the "capital of prostitution and obscenity." The statement claimed the attack was the "first of the storm and a warning to those who wish to learn."

A State of Emergency in France

French President Francois Hollande speaks at the Elysee Palace in Paris, Saturday, Nov. 14, 2015, following a series of coordinated attacks in and around Paris late Friday which left at least 127 dead.

France is in a state of emergency as an additional 1,500 soldiers have been mobilized to guard Paris's parliament buildings, religious sites and tourist attractions.

All public buildings in Paris, including schools, museums, libraries and town halls, were closed indefinitely starting Saturday.

Police said public demonstrations would be banned in the Paris area until Thursday.

Hollande has declared three days of national mourning.

The French flag was at half-mast on top of the Elysee palace, the official residence of Hollande.

The management of the Eiffel Tower has decided to close the attraction indefinitely, AFP reported, and the Mayor of Paris, Anne Hidalgo, said the tower’s lights will be switched off tonight.

Get real-time updates as this story unfolds. To start, just "star" this story in ABC News' phone app. Download ABC News for iPhone here or ABC News for Android here.

Up Next in News—

Rip current risk at onset of Memorial Day Weekend: How to stay safe

May 22, 2026

What to know about 'Lulu's Law' requiring emergency shark attack notifications

May 21, 2026

Father, daughter speak after Lyft driver is accused of using AI-generated image for damage claim

May 20, 2026

Police officer speaks out after rescuing choking toddler in incident caught on camera

May 20, 2026

Shop GMA Favorites

ABC will receive a commission for purchases made through these links.

Sponsored Content by Taboola

The latest lifestyle and entertainment news and inspiration for how to live your best life - all from Good Morning America.
  • Contests
  • Terms of Use
  • Privacy Policy
  • Do Not Sell My Info
  • Children’s Online Privacy Policy
  • Advertise with us
  • Your US State Privacy Rights
  • Interest-Based Ads
  • About Nielsen Measurement
  • Press
  • Feedback
  • Shop FAQs
  • ABC News
  • ABC
  • All Videos
  • All Topics
  • Sitemap

© 2026 ABC News
  • Privacy Policy— 
  • Your US State Privacy Rights— 
  • Children's Online Privacy Policy— 
  • Interest-Based Ads— 
  • Terms of Use— 
  • Do Not Sell My Info— 
  • Contact Us— 

© 2026 ABC News