• Video
  • Shop
  • Culture
  • Family
  • Wellness
  • Food
  • Living
  • Style
  • Travel
  • News
  • Book Club
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy Policy
  • Your US State Privacy Rights
  • Children's Online Privacy Policy
  • Interest-Based Ads
  • Terms of Use
  • Do Not Sell My Info
  • Contact Us
  • © 2026 ABC News
  • News

Paris Attacks: 129 Dead And Hundreds Injured

9:14
Paris Terror Attack Survivors Describe Scene Inside Concert Hall
Michel Euler/AP Photo
ByEMILY SHAPIRO and EMILY KNAPP
November 15, 2015, 2:21 AM

— -- French officials said today that the devastating six-part attack in Paris on Friday left 129 people dead, including a U.S. college student, and more than 300 injured in a rash of violence that shook the city.

Of the 352 injured during the spate of violence, 99 people remain in critical condition. The American who was killed was a 23-year-old student studying abroad, California State University Long Beach said in a statement.

A woman is comforted by others outside the Carillon cafe and the Petit Cambodge restaurant in Paris, Nov. 14, 2015, a day after over 120 people were killed in a series of attacks in Paris.

The attackers wore identical suicide vests as they fanned out across the city Friday night - targeting the national soccer stadium, a concert hall and bars and restaurants, Paris prosecutor François Molins said.

Molins said seven “terrorists were killed during their criminal actions.” Earlier, terrorist organization ISIS claimed responsibility for the attack, and said eight “brothers” took part in the operation, the same number of attackers seen in early local media reports.

Related Articles

Paris Attacks: Grief and Heartbreak Around the World

Related Articles

ISIS Claims Deadly Paris Attacks, 'First of the Storm'

Related Articles

American Tourist in Paris Describes Hearing Shooting During Attack

A Syrian passport found on the body of one of the attackers belonged to someone who had crossed into the European Union as a refugee, through the Greek island of Leros, in October, a Greek official told ABC News.

In a statement on the Ministry’s website, Citizen Protection Minister Nikos Toskas said, "The passport holder had passed from Leros on Oct. 3. where he was identified based on EU rules. ... We do not know if the passport was checked by other countries through which the holder likely passed."

The passport was found at the Stade de France stadium, one of the six attacked sites.

Officials also revealed that one of the gunmen in the massacre at the concert hall was a 30-year old French citizen who had been flagged as a possible terrorist five years ago but never charged with a serious crime.

Police were carrying out operations in Brussels today believed to be linked to the deadly attacks. The federal prosecutor's office there said three arrests were made linked to the attacks.

Secretary of State John Kerry said from Vienna today that "Daesh [ISIS] has claimed responsibility" for the attacks. And while "we are still gathering information," Kerry said, "we have seen nothing that leads us to a different conclusion."

Kerry said earlier that "these kinds of attacks are the most vile, horrendous, outrageous, unacceptable acts on the planet."

French President Francois Hollande speaks at the Elysee Palace in Paris, Saturday, Nov. 14, 2015, following a series of coordinated attacks in and around Paris late Friday which left at least 127 dead.

French President François Hollande this morning blamed ISIS for the attacks, which he called "an act of war."

"And when faced with war, the country must take appropriate decisions," Hollande said. "An act committed by a terrorist army, DAESH [ISIS], against what we are, a free country that speaks together with the planet."

Hollande said the attacks were prepared and planned with outside complicity.

"An act of war prepared, planned, from outside, with outside complicity which an investigation will establish," Hollande said. "An act of absolute barbarism. In this painful period, so serious, so decisive for our country, I appeal for unity, for togetherness, for cool-headedness, and I will address Parliament in a joint session at Versailles on Monday."

British Prime Minister David Cameron said today that the terror threat level in the United Kingdom would remain at "severe," which is the second-highest level, according to the Associated Press.

German Chancellor Angela Merkel said, "This attack on freedom was aimed not just at Paris, it targeted and it hits all of us. That is why we must all respond together."

PHOTO: A supporter comforts a friend after invading the pitch of the Stade de France stadium at the end of the international friendly soccer match between France and Germany in Saint Denis, outside Paris, Nov. 13, 2015.
A supporter comforts a friend after invading the pitch of the Stade de France stadium at the end of the international friendly soccer match between France and Germany in Saint Denis, outside Paris, Nov. 13, 2015. Hundreds of people spilled onto the field of the Stade de France stadium after explosions were heard nearby.

In the wake of the attacks, Hollande has declared three days of national mourning and the French flag is flying at half-mast on top of the Elysee palace.

Security was also tightened around the country. France’s interior minister has given individual prefects – the administrative heads of districts across the country – the power to introduce curfews.

The management of the Eiffel Tower has decided to close the attraction indefinitely, AFP reported.

All public buildings in Paris, including schools, museums, libraries and town halls, were closed indefinitely starting Saturday. An additional 1,500 soldiers were mobilized to guard Paris's parliament buildings, religious sites and tourist attractions. Police said public demonstrations are banned in the Paris area until Thursday.

The U.S. Embassy in France has updated its security message for U.S. citizens in Paris from last night's "shelter in place" warning, now asking U.S. citizens to "maintain a high level of vigilance."

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Get real-time updates as this story unfolds. To start, just "star" this story in ABC News' phone app. Download ABC News for iPhone here or ABC News for Android here.

Up Next in News—

2 suspects identified in stunt at enclosure of viral monkey Punch

May 19, 2026

Climber who survived avalanche on Mount Everest speaks out as he attempts to set a new world record

May 18, 2026

Doctors group releases new drowning prevention recommendations

May 18, 2026

Empty Waymo vehicles swarm Atlanta cul-de-sac

May 15, 2026

Shop GMA Favorites

ABC will receive a commission for purchases made through these links.

Sponsored Content by Taboola

The latest lifestyle and entertainment news and inspiration for how to live your best life - all from Good Morning America.
  • Contests
  • Terms of Use
  • Privacy Policy
  • Do Not Sell My Info
  • Children’s Online Privacy Policy
  • Advertise with us
  • Your US State Privacy Rights
  • Interest-Based Ads
  • About Nielsen Measurement
  • Press
  • Feedback
  • Shop FAQs
  • ABC News
  • ABC
  • All Videos
  • All Topics
  • Sitemap

© 2026 ABC News
  • Privacy Policy— 
  • Your US State Privacy Rights— 
  • Children's Online Privacy Policy— 
  • Interest-Based Ads— 
  • Terms of Use— 
  • Do Not Sell My Info— 
  • Contact Us— 

© 2026 ABC News