• Video
  • Shop
  • Culture
  • Family
  • Wellness
  • Food
  • Living
  • Style
  • Travel
  • News
  • Book Club
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy Policy
  • Your US State Privacy Rights
  • Children's Online Privacy Policy
  • Interest-Based Ads
  • Terms of Use
  • Do Not Sell My Info
  • Contact Us
  • © 2026 ABC News
  • News

Israeli reservist and civilian accused of illegally using classified intel to make bets on IDF military operations

1:12
Headlines from ABC News Live
Hazem Bader/AFP via Getty Images
ByJordana Miller and Meredith Deliso
February 12, 2026, 10:44 PM

An Israeli reservist and a civilian allegedly used classified information to make bets on the timing of Israeli military operations on the Polymarket website, according to Israeli authorities. 

The two have been charged with serious security offenses and offenses of bribery and obstruction of justice, a joint statement from Israel's Ministry of Defense, the Israeli Police and the Israel Security Agency announced Thursday.

Related Articles

Israeli government adopts measures increasing civil control of West Bank, drawing condemnation from Palestinians and regional Arab states

Several people were initially arrested on suspicion of gambling "regarding the occurrence of military operations, based on classified information to which the reservists were exposed by virtue of their position in the army," the joint statement said.

Following an investigation, two of the suspects were charged, it said.

Polymarket is a platform where people can bet on things ranging from sports to politics and other real-world events. ABC News has reached out to Polymarket for comment and did not immediately receive a response.

A barrier is lowered as Israeli soldiers close part of the H2 southern sector of the West Bank city of Hebron, announcing a curfew as they search for weapons and Palestinians on their wanted list, in the Israeli occupied West Bank, Jan. 19, 2026.
Hazem Bader/AFP via Getty Images

Israeli authorities did not release any additional details on the investigation due to a court-imposed gag order.  No information has been disclosed on when the alleged gambling occurred, how much money was at stake nor the names of the two people charged who remain in custody.

"The defense establishment emphasizes that in carrying out such bets, relying on secret and classified information, there is a real security risk to IDF activities and state security," the joint statement said.

The alleged incident did not cause any "operational harm," according to an Israel Defense Forces statement.

Related Articles

Gaza-Egypt border crossing at Rafah partially reopens after more than 2 years

"The IDF views with great seriousness any act that endangers the security of the state, and in particular the use of highly classified information for personal gain, as indicated by the information that has come to the IDF's attention," an IDF spokesperson said in a statement.

"This is a serious ethical lapse and a clear red line crossing, which are not in line with the values ​​of the IDF and what is expected of its service members. Criminal and command procedures will be taken against any party found to have been involved in such actions," the statement added.

The IDF has since taken steps to tighten procedures in all units to "prevent similar incidents from recurring," the spokesperson said.

Israel's KANN News last month reported on an investigation into IDF soldiers allegedly illegally using classified information to bet tens of thousands of dollars on Polymarket on military operations, including the start of Israel's 12-day war against Iran last June.

It is unclear if the two people charged, who remain in custody, have been connected to those alleged transactions. 

Up Next in News—

Rip current risk at onset of Memorial Day Weekend: How to stay safe

May 22, 2026

What to know about 'Lulu's Law' requiring emergency shark attack notifications

May 21, 2026

Father, daughter speak after Lyft driver is accused of using AI-generated image for damage claim

May 20, 2026

Police officer speaks out after rescuing choking toddler in incident caught on camera

May 20, 2026

Shop GMA Favorites

ABC will receive a commission for purchases made through these links.

Sponsored Content by Taboola

The latest lifestyle and entertainment news and inspiration for how to live your best life - all from Good Morning America.
  • Contests
  • Terms of Use
  • Privacy Policy
  • Do Not Sell My Info
  • Children’s Online Privacy Policy
  • Advertise with us
  • Your US State Privacy Rights
  • Interest-Based Ads
  • About Nielsen Measurement
  • Press
  • Feedback
  • Shop FAQs
  • ABC News
  • ABC
  • All Videos
  • All Topics
  • Sitemap

© 2026 ABC News
  • Privacy Policy— 
  • Your US State Privacy Rights— 
  • Children's Online Privacy Policy— 
  • Interest-Based Ads— 
  • Terms of Use— 
  • Do Not Sell My Info— 
  • Contact Us— 

© 2026 ABC News