• Video
  • Shop
  • Culture
  • Family
  • Wellness
  • Food
  • Living
  • Style
  • Travel
  • News
  • Book Club
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy Policy
  • Your US State Privacy Rights
  • Children's Online Privacy Policy
  • Interest-Based Ads
  • Terms of Use
  • Do Not Sell My Info
  • Contact Us
  • © 2026 ABC News
  • News

Luigi Mangione's federal trial further delayed to January 2027

0:31
Luigi Mangione's federal trial pushed from September to October
Curtis Means/AP
ByAaron Katersky
April 02, 2026, 10:32 PM

Luigi Mangione's federal trial in the killing of United Healthcare CEO Brian Thompson has been further delayed, with a judge on Thursday pushing it to January 2027.

Mangione's federal trial is now set to begin with jury selection on Jan. 5, 2027, and opening statements on Jan. 25, 2027.

Luigi Mangione is escorted into Manhattan state court in New York, Sept. 16, 2025.
Seth Wenig/AP

Related Articles

Tiger Woods says he will step away and 'seek treatment' following car crash arrest

The move comes a day after changes to the starts of both his federal and state trials.

Hours after U.S. District Judge Margaret Garnett initially pushed back the federal trial from September to October, his state trial was pushed back from June to September.

Judge Gregory Carro, the judge in the state case, gave no reason for delaying the start to Sept. 8, but the defense had been requesting it.

In initially delaying the federal trial, Garnett said during a hearing on Wednesday, "Whether we like it or not, we are somewhat at the mercy of events in the state case," noting that, at that time, Mangione's state trial was scheduled for June 8.

"What is happening at 100 Centre [the state courthouse] inevitably affects how we structure things here so the defendant can get a fair trial," Garnett said.

Luigi Mangione speaks to the judge during a hearing about his federal trial on murder charges for the killing of UnitedHealthcare chief executive Brian Thompson, at Manhattan Federal Court in New York, April 1, 2026.
Jane Rosenberg/Reuters

Garnett said she did not want to be "held hostage" by the state prosecution, but she said she had "some pause" about the "utility" of having potential jurors fill out questionnaires in the glare of the state trial.

"There's really no way around taking into account the events in the state case involving the same defendant," Garnett said.

Luigi Mangione appears in Manhattan Criminal Court in New York, Dec. 16, 2025.
Curtis Means/AP

Related Articles

Luigi Mangione asks to delay federal trial

Mangione, 27, pleaded not guilty to state and federal charges after he was arrested for allegedly gunning down Thompson in Midtown Manhattan in December 2024.

He faces the possibility of life in prison if he's convicted in either case. Garnett previously threw out the federal charges that carry the possibility of the death penalty and Carro previously tossed out an enhancement to the state murder charges that said Mangione's alleged conduct amounted to terrorism. 

Up Next in News—

Father, daughter speak after Lyft driver is accused of using AI-generated image for damage claim

May 20, 2026

Police officer speaks out after rescuing choking toddler in incident caught on camera

May 20, 2026

Google DeepMind CEO says AI could unlock breakthroughs in medicine, energy and more

May 20, 2026

2 suspects identified in stunt at enclosure of viral monkey Punch

May 19, 2026

Shop GMA Favorites

ABC will receive a commission for purchases made through these links.

Sponsored Content by Taboola

The latest lifestyle and entertainment news and inspiration for how to live your best life - all from Good Morning America.
  • Contests
  • Terms of Use
  • Privacy Policy
  • Do Not Sell My Info
  • Children’s Online Privacy Policy
  • Advertise with us
  • Your US State Privacy Rights
  • Interest-Based Ads
  • About Nielsen Measurement
  • Press
  • Feedback
  • Shop FAQs
  • ABC News
  • ABC
  • All Videos
  • All Topics
  • Sitemap

© 2026 ABC News
  • Privacy Policy— 
  • Your US State Privacy Rights— 
  • Children's Online Privacy Policy— 
  • Interest-Based Ads— 
  • Terms of Use— 
  • Do Not Sell My Info— 
  • Contact Us— 

© 2026 ABC News