• Video
  • Shop
  • Culture
  • Family
  • Wellness
  • Food
  • Living
  • Style
  • Travel
  • News
  • Book Club
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy Policy
  • Your US State Privacy Rights
  • Children's Online Privacy Policy
  • Interest-Based Ads
  • Terms of Use
  • Do Not Sell My Info
  • Contact Us
  • Recalls and Product Safety Alerts
  • © 2026 ABC News
  • News

Man accused of New York City synagogue attack faces federal hate crime charges

1:47
Headlines from ABC News Live
WABC
ByAaron Katersky and Meredith Deliso
August 19, 2026, 1:35 PM

A man who is accused of disrupting Friday evening services at a New York City synagogue now faces federal hate crime charges in what officials called a "violent, hate‑motivated attack."

Larry Montes, 46, was arrested Friday following what police called a "random antisemitic attack" at Central Synagogue in Manhattan and previously faced state-level criminal mischief and attempted assault hate crime charges.

In a federal complaint filed Tuesday by the U.S. Attorney's Office for the Southern District of New York, the Bronx man was charged with two counts of committing hate crimes and one count of damage to religious property resulting in injury.

PHOTO: A police car is seen outside the Central Synagogue in New York City, Aug. 14, 2026.
A police car is seen outside Central Synagogue in New York City, Aug. 14, 2026.
WABC

Montes allegedly stood up during the service and approached the front yelling, "I am Hashem," a Jewish reference to God, according to police. He allegedly knocked over two candles and candle holders, causing them to break, police said.

While being escorted out of the synagogue by security, Montes allegedly struck a 63-year-old woman who was attending the services, cutting her lip and bruising her arm, and headbutted a security guard and uttered a racial slur, according to police.

“An attack on a house of worship is an attack on the fundamental right to practice one’s faith safely, and our Office will work tirelessly to ensure the defendant is held fully accountable as we continue to protect all communities from hate‑driven violence," U.S. Attorney Jamie McDonald said in a statement to ABC News.

When questioned by NYPD officers following his arrest after being advised of his Miranda rights, Montes allegedly said he felt disrespected at the service and stated that "it’s all a racial thing" and it was "all religious motivated," according to the federal complaint.

Related Articles

New York City stabbing suspect facing hate crime charges

"Larry Montes' targeted acts of violence on a congregant, security guard, and synagogue during a Shabbat service are deeply disturbing," Assistant Director in Charge of the FBI's New York Field Office James Barnacle Jr. said in a statement. "The FBI condemns any incident driven by bias or hate, and we commend the swift actions of the security personnel and first responders. Hate crimes have no place in New York, and we remain steadfast in protecting every community."

Montes is being held on $10,000 bail following an appearance on a complaint drafted by the Manhattan District Attorney's Office. It was not immediately clear when he would appear before a federal magistrate on the federal complaint. 

Up Next in News—

Lindsay Clancy jury sent home for the day due to 'unforeseen circumstance'

August 19, 2026

'She was begging for help': Lindsay Clancy's former mother-in-law testifies

August 18, 2026

Opening statements in Meta's latest social media addiction trial begin

August 18, 2026

Lindsay Clancy's mom and sister testify, describe her as a 'loving mother'

August 17, 2026

Shop GMA Favorites

ABC will receive a commission for purchases made through these links.

Sponsored Content by Taboola

The latest lifestyle and entertainment news and inspiration for how to live your best life - all from Good Morning America.
  • Contests
  • Terms of Use
  • Privacy Policy
  • Do Not Sell My Info
  • Children’s Online Privacy Policy
  • Advertise with us
  • Your US State Privacy Rights
  • Interest-Based Ads
  • About Nielsen Measurement
  • Press
  • Feedback
  • Shop FAQs
  • ABC News
  • ABC
  • All Videos
  • All Topics
  • Sitemap
  • Recalls and Product Safety Alerts

© 2026 ABC News
  • Privacy Policy— 
  • Your US State Privacy Rights— 
  • Children's Online Privacy Policy— 
  • Interest-Based Ads— 
  • Terms of Use— 
  • Do Not Sell My Info— 
  • Contact Us— 
  • Recalls and Product Safety Alerts— 

© 2026 ABC News