• Video
  • Shop
  • Culture
  • Family
  • Wellness
  • Food
  • Living
  • Style
  • Travel
  • News
  • Book Club
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy Policy
  • Your US State Privacy Rights
  • Children's Online Privacy Policy
  • Interest-Based Ads
  • Terms of Use
  • Do Not Sell My Info
  • Contact Us
  • © 2026 ABC News
  • News

North Korea holds 1st military parade since Biden took office

1:05
By the Numbers: North Korea’s provocations
KCNA VIA KNS/AFP via Getty Images
ByDanielle DuClos
September 09, 2021, 9:30 PM

North Korea held its 73rd anniversary parade late Wednesday going into early Thursday morning, with a display of soldiers in bright orange hazmat suits and gas masks marching in Pyongyang, according to the Korea Central News Agency, the nation’s state media.

PHOTO: A parade of 'paramilitary and public security forces' to celebrate the 73rd founding anniversary of North Korea at Kim Il Sung Square in Pyongyang, North Korea, Sept. 9, 2021.
This picture taken, Sept. 9, 2021, and released from North Korea's official Korean Central News Agency (KCNA) shows a parade of 'paramilitary and public security forces' to celebrate the 73rd founding anniversary of North Korea at Kim Il Sung Square in Pyongyang, North Korea.
KCNA VIA KNS/AFP via Getty Images

Along with top officials, a noticeably thinner Kim Jong Un appeared in the square, where he "extended warm greetings" and waved to the crowds, KCNA reported. Parachutists came down from the sky, there was a fireworks display and tractors hauled artillery behind soldiers, the news agency reported, though photos depict only fire trucks and tractors.

In this photo provided by the North Korean government, North Korean leader Kim Jong Un walks with children during a celebration of the nation's 73rd anniversary at Kim Il Sung Square in Pyongyang, North Korea, Sept. 9, 2021.
Korean Central News Agency/Korea News Service via AP

But the image of a strong, healthy regime painted by the country’s state media is the opposite of what the parade truly showcased, according to Gordon Chang, author of "Nuclear Showdown: North Korea Takes on the World." The parade indicated a much less ambitious North Korea, Chang said, one that has been decimated by the coronavirus pandemic despite zero cases reported by the country.

"All those guys in the red hazmat suits, which were really striking, that wasn’t directed to us, that was directed to the North Korean people basically saying that the regime has this well in hand because it obviously doesn’t," he said.

A parade of 'paramilitary and public security forces' to celebrate the 73rd founding anniversary of North Korea at Kim Il Sung Square in Pyongyang, North Korea, Sept. 9, 2021.
KCNA V KNS/AFP via Getty Image

The pandemic and international sanctions have damaged the economy and caused widespread famine. In July, South Korea’s central bank released its 2020 economic estimates for its northern neighbor, finding that North Korea’s economy shrunk by 4.5% last year -- the largest decrease in at least 10 years, according to the report.

Related Articles

MORE: Biden dismisses Trump, Obama approaches in charting new North Korea policy

Photos of Kim at the parade also showed that his weight loss has continued since he began slimming down this summer.

Military personnel take part in a paramilitary parade held to mark the 73rd founding anniversary of the republic at Kim Il Sung square in Pyongyang in this undated image supplied by North Korea's Korean Central News Agency, Sept. 9, 2021.
KCNA/via Reuters

Martyn Williams, a researcher at 38 North, which provides analysis about the country, tweeted that "It's striking how much healthier Kim is looking in these photos from yesterday. However he is doing it -- and there are theories -- he looks a lot better than he did a few months ago."

Chang also speculated as to why Kim had lost weight.

"I think he's either realized it doesn't look good from a public relations point of view to be overly heavy, or he's just dealing with a personal health problem," he said.

Aside from the apocalyptic looking hazmat suits, the parade lacked North Korea’s signature missile display, which Kim uses to boast about his regime's military might, sending a message to the U.S. and the world.

Related Articles

MORE: Biden: US will respond if North Korea escalates following new missile launches

This was the nation’s first military parade since President Joe Biden took office. North Korea has been very quiet on the international scene in recent months -- which is very uncharacteristic, according to Chang.

A parade of 'paramilitary and public security forces' to celebrate the 73rd founding anniversary of North Korea at Kim Il Sung Square in Pyongyang, North Korea, Sept. 9, 2021.
KCNA V KNS/AFP via Getty Image

"They have been very, very quiet for a long time which means we should start to worry about what’s going on because something is not right," he said.

Up Next in News—

2 suspects identified in stunt at enclosure of viral monkey Punch

May 19, 2026

Climber who survived avalanche on Mount Everest speaks out as he attempts to set a new world record

May 18, 2026

Doctors group releases new drowning prevention recommendations

May 18, 2026

Empty Waymo vehicles swarm Atlanta cul-de-sac

May 15, 2026

Shop GMA Favorites

ABC will receive a commission for purchases made through these links.

Sponsored Content by Taboola

The latest lifestyle and entertainment news and inspiration for how to live your best life - all from Good Morning America.
  • Contests
  • Terms of Use
  • Privacy Policy
  • Do Not Sell My Info
  • Children’s Online Privacy Policy
  • Advertise with us
  • Your US State Privacy Rights
  • Interest-Based Ads
  • About Nielsen Measurement
  • Press
  • Feedback
  • Shop FAQs
  • ABC News
  • ABC
  • All Videos
  • All Topics
  • Sitemap

© 2026 ABC News
  • Privacy Policy— 
  • Your US State Privacy Rights— 
  • Children's Online Privacy Policy— 
  • Interest-Based Ads— 
  • Terms of Use— 
  • Do Not Sell My Info— 
  • Contact Us— 

© 2026 ABC News