• Video
  • Shop
  • Culture
  • Family
  • Wellness
  • Food
  • Living
  • Style
  • Travel
  • News
  • Book Club
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy Policy
  • Your US State Privacy Rights
  • Children's Online Privacy Policy
  • Interest-Based Ads
  • Terms of Use
  • Do Not Sell My Info
  • Contact Us
  • © 2026 ABC News
  • News

'Rust' armorer Hannah Gutierrez seeks new trial after dismissal of Alec Baldwin's case

1:43
Headlines from ABC News Live
Luis Sãnchez Saturno/Santa Fe New Mexican via AP, Pool, FILE
ByJolie Lash and Meredith Deliso
July 17, 2024, 1:37 AM

Lawyers for "Rust" armorer Hannah Gutierrez on Tuesday night filed an expedited motion in the Santa Fe First Judicial District Court of New Mexico for a new trial or dismissal of the case against her, just days after the judge dismissed the case against Alec Baldwin. In the filing, Gutierrez's lawyers are asking the court to grant a new trial or a dismissal based on what they call "severe and ongoing discovery violations by the State."

Gutierrez, who was the armorer on the set of "Rust," was found guilty in March of involuntary manslaughter in the fatal on-set shooting of cinematographer Halyna Hutchins.

Hannah Gutierrez, the former armorer at the movie "Rust," listens to closing arguments in her trial at district court, Wednesday, March 6, 2024, in Santa Fe, N.M.
Luis Sánchez Saturno/Santa Fe New Mexican via AP, Pool, FILE

Related Articles

MORE: Donald Trump's Secret Service protection had been increased prior to assassination attempt due to Iran threat: Sources

She was sentenced a month later to 18 months in prison.

Gutierrez appealed her conviction in May, but the dramatic end to Baldwin's trial last week prompted Tuesday afternoon's filing.

In a stunning turn of events, a New Mexico judge dismissed Baldwin's case last Friday, on day three of his manslaughter trial.

The judge granted the defense's motion to dismiss the case, in which they claimed live ammunition that came into the hands of local law enforcement related to the investigation into the deadly on-set shooting was "concealed" from them.

Judge Mary Marlowe Sommer said the state's discovery violation regarding the late disclosure of a supplemental report on the ammunition evidence "injected needless delay into the proceedings," approached "bad faith" and was "highly prejudicial to the defendant."

Related Articles

MORE: DNC announces $15 million investment in swing-state parties at start of GOP convention

"There is no way for the court to right this wrong," Sommer said in granting the motion to dismiss with prejudice, meaning Baldwin cannot be tried again on the charge.

Gutierrez's legal team said in their filing Tuesday that Baldwin's case "exposes extreme misconduct."

ABC News was not able to immediately reach a representative for the district attorney's office.

Up Next in News—

Father, daughter speak after Lyft driver is accused of using AI-generated image for damage claim

May 20, 2026

Police officer speaks out after rescuing choking toddler in incident caught on camera

May 20, 2026

Google DeepMind CEO says AI could unlock breakthroughs in medicine, energy and more

May 20, 2026

2 suspects identified in stunt at enclosure of viral monkey Punch

May 19, 2026

Shop GMA Favorites

ABC will receive a commission for purchases made through these links.

Sponsored Content by Taboola

The latest lifestyle and entertainment news and inspiration for how to live your best life - all from Good Morning America.
  • Contests
  • Terms of Use
  • Privacy Policy
  • Do Not Sell My Info
  • Children’s Online Privacy Policy
  • Advertise with us
  • Your US State Privacy Rights
  • Interest-Based Ads
  • About Nielsen Measurement
  • Press
  • Feedback
  • Shop FAQs
  • ABC News
  • ABC
  • All Videos
  • All Topics
  • Sitemap

© 2026 ABC News
  • Privacy Policy— 
  • Your US State Privacy Rights— 
  • Children's Online Privacy Policy— 
  • Interest-Based Ads— 
  • Terms of Use— 
  • Do Not Sell My Info— 
  • Contact Us— 

© 2026 ABC News