• Video
  • Shop
  • Culture
  • Family
  • Wellness
  • Food
  • Living
  • Style
  • Travel
  • News
  • Book Club
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy Policy
  • Your US State Privacy Rights
  • Children's Online Privacy Policy
  • Interest-Based Ads
  • Terms of Use
  • Do Not Sell My Info
  • Contact Us
  • © 2026 ABC News
  • News

'Rust' special prosecutor announces she will step down from case

2:00
Special prosecutor steps down ahead of Alec Baldwin trial
Santa Fe County Sheriff's Office/AFP via Getty Images, FILE
ByMeredith Deliso, Aaron Katersky, and Vera Drymon
March 15, 2023, 12:14 AM

The special prosecutor in New Mexico who investigated the fatal shooting of cinematographer Halyna Hutchins on the set of "Rust" announced Tuesday she is stepping down.

The decision comes weeks after Alec Baldwin's attorney moved to disqualify the special prosecutor, Andrea Reeb, claiming in a motion filed last month that as a member of the New Mexico House of Representatives, she cannot simultaneously exercise legislative and judicial power.

PHOTO: Alec Baldwin being processed after the death of cinematographer Halyna Hutchins on the set of the film "Rust" at the Bonanza Creek Ranch in Santa Fe, N.M., Oct. 21, 2022.
This file handout photo courtesy of Santa Fe County Sheriff's Office and part of the investigative files, shows Alec Baldwin being processed after the death of cinematographer Halyna Hutchins on the set of the film "Rust" at the Bonanza Creek Ranch in Santa Fe, N.M., Oct. 21, 2022.
Santa Fe County Sheriff's Office/AFP via Getty Images

Reeb said in a statement issued by New Mexico's First Judicial District Attorney Tuesday that she will "not allow questions about my serving as a legislator and prosecutor to cloud the real issue at hand."

"My priority in this case -- and in every case I've prosecuted in my 25-year career -- has been justice for the victim," Reeb said in the statement. "However, it has become clear that the best way I can ensure justice is served in this case is to step down so that the prosecution can focus on the evidence and the facts, which clearly show a complete disregard for basic safety protocols led to the death of Halyna Hutchins."

Reeb was elected to her first term in the New Mexico House of Representatives last year and assumed office on Jan. 1.

An image of cinematographer Halyna Hutchins, who died after being shot by Alec Baldwin on the set of his movie "Rust", is displayed at a vigil in Albuquerque, N.M., Oct. 23, 2021.
Kevin Mohatt/Reuters, FILE

In a motion filed last month seeking to disqualify her, Baldwin defense attorney Luke Nikas wrote, "Under Section 1 of Article III of the New Mexico Constitution, however, a sitting member of the Legislature may not 'exercise any powers properly belonging' to either the executive or judicial branch."

"A prosecutor who also serves as a legislator could face pressure to make prosecutorial decisions that serve her legislative interests, such as by prosecuting a prominent defendant associated with an opposing faction within the Legislature even in the face of conflicting evidence or law," the motion stated.

Related Articles

MORE: 'Rust' timeline: Key events in the Alec Baldwin on-set shooting

The filing cited a funding request from First Judicial District Attorney Mary Carmack-Altwies of $635,500 from the New Mexico Board of Finance for the prosecution of individuals related to the "Rust" shooting. The proposed budget included $156,000 for Reeb's salary.

Following the filing, the district attorney's office called the motion a distraction.

Related Articles

MORE: Alec Baldwin pleads not guilty, waives 1st court appearance for 'Rust' involuntary manslaughter charges

Baldwin has been charged with two counts of involuntary manslaughter in connection with the death of Hutchins, who was fatally shot on the Santa Fe set of the Western on Oct. 21, 2021. He pleaded not guilty to the charges in a court filing.

In addition to Baldwin, the film's armorer, Hannah Gutierrez-Reed, was charged with two counts of involuntary manslaughter over her death.

First assistant director David Halls took a plea deal after being charged with negligent use of a deadly weapon in connection with the shooting. The plea agreement is pending a judge's approval, prosecutors have said. He is scheduled to make his first court appearance in late March.

Last month, the district attorneys' office announced it was dropping the gun enhancement charge -- a crime that would have carried a five-year sentence if convicted -- against Baldwin and Gutierrez-Reed in the fatal shooting.

Up Next in News—

2 suspects identified in stunt at enclosure of viral monkey Punch

May 19, 2026

Climber who survived avalanche on Mount Everest speaks out as he attempts to set a new world record

May 18, 2026

Doctors group releases new drowning prevention recommendations

May 18, 2026

Empty Waymo vehicles swarm Atlanta cul-de-sac

May 15, 2026

Shop GMA Favorites

ABC will receive a commission for purchases made through these links.

Sponsored Content by Taboola

The latest lifestyle and entertainment news and inspiration for how to live your best life - all from Good Morning America.
  • Contests
  • Terms of Use
  • Privacy Policy
  • Do Not Sell My Info
  • Children’s Online Privacy Policy
  • Advertise with us
  • Your US State Privacy Rights
  • Interest-Based Ads
  • About Nielsen Measurement
  • Press
  • Feedback
  • Shop FAQs
  • ABC News
  • ABC
  • All Videos
  • All Topics
  • Sitemap

© 2026 ABC News
  • Privacy Policy— 
  • Your US State Privacy Rights— 
  • Children's Online Privacy Policy— 
  • Interest-Based Ads— 
  • Terms of Use— 
  • Do Not Sell My Info— 
  • Contact Us— 

© 2026 ABC News