• Video
  • Shop
  • Culture
  • Family
  • Wellness
  • Food
  • Living
  • Style
  • Travel
  • News
  • Book Club
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy Policy
  • Your US State Privacy Rights
  • Children's Online Privacy Policy
  • Interest-Based Ads
  • Terms of Use
  • Do Not Sell My Info
  • Contact Us
  • © 2026 ABC News
  • News

Trump-Kennedy Center says it plans to sue jazz musician who canceled Christmas performance over Trump name change

2:09
Artists cancel Kennedy Center shows after Trump renaming sparks backlash
Robert Severi
ByDeena Zaru
December 30, 2025, 2:23 AM

The Trump-Kennedy Center, led by President Donald Trump's appointee Richard Grenell, says it is planning to file a $1 million lawsuit “after the holidays” against jazz musician Chuck Redd.

It comes after the artist canceled a Christmas Eve performance after Trump's name was added to the building's signage, a spokesperson for the center confirmed to ABC News on Monday.

The cancellation of the performance, an annual Christmas Eve Jazz Jam scheduled on the evening of Dec. 24 in Washington, D.C., was confirmed on the national cultural center’s website, and came days after Trump’s name was added alongside President John F. Kennedy's.

Musician Chuck Redd.
Robert Severi

The threat to file a $1 million lawsuit was expressed by Grenell, the center’s president, in a letter that was addressed to Redd and obtained by ABC News.

“Your decision to withdraw at the last moment—explicitly in response to the Center’s recent renaming, which honors President Trump’s extraordinary efforts to save this national treasure—is classic intolerance and very costly to a non-profit Arts institution. Regrettably, your action surrenders to the sad bullying tactics employed by certain elements on the left, who have sought to intimidate artists into boycotting performances at our national cultural center,” Grenell wrote to Redd.

“Your dismal ticket sales and lack of donor support, combined with your last-minute cancellation has cost us considerably. This is your official notice that we will seek $1 million in damages from you for this political stunt,” Grenell continued.

Related Articles

Trump's name added to Kennedy Center signage day after White House announced change

It is unclear if Redd has obtained legal representation. ABC News reached out to Redd for comment, but did not hear back.

In an email to the Associated Press, which first reported on the cancellation on Christmas Eve, Redd wrote that he decided to cancel his performance when he “saw the name change on the Kennedy Center website and then hours later on the building.”

"Any artist cancelling their show at the Trump Kennedy Center over political differences isn’t courageous or principled—they are selfish, intolerant, and have failed to meet the basic duty of a public artist: to perform for all people,” Roma Daravi, Vice President of PR at the Trump-Kennedy Center told ABC News in a statement on Monday, confirming the Center’s intent to file a complaint against Redd.

Workers look up at The John F. Kennedy Memorial Center for the Performing Arts after they updated the signage after the center was renamed in honor of President Donald Trump, December 19, 2025, in Washington.
Jim Watson/AFP via Getty Images

“Art is a shared cultural experience meant to unite, not exclude,” she added. “The Trump Kennedy Center is a true bipartisan institution that welcomes artists and patrons from all backgrounds—great art transcends politics, and America’s cultural center remains committed to presenting popular programming that inspires and resonates with all audiences."

Redd is a jazz drummer and vibraphonist who previously served as artist-in-residence at The Smithsonian Jazz Café in Washington, D.C. from 2004 to 2008 and was also a member of the Smithsonian Jazz Masterworks Orchestra for 15 years, according to an artist profile on the Trump-Kennedy Center’s website.

Related Articles

Democratic Rep. Joyce Beatty sues to remove Trump's name from Kennedy Center

His show’s cancellation comes after the White House announced on Dec. 18 that the board at the Kennedy Center, which President Trump now chairs and is newly filled with his appointees, voted "unanimously" to rename the building the "Trump-Kennedy Center." The signage was updated a day later.

New signage for The Donald J. Trump and The John F. Kennedy Memorial Center For The Performing Arts, is unveiled on the Kennedy Center, Dec. 19, 2025, in Washington.
Jacquelyn Martin/AP

The national cultural center, which is located on the banks of the Potomac River, was originally named the John F. Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts to honor the late president, and it first opened its doors on Sept. 8, 1971.

Trump, who was sworn in for his second term as president on Jan. 20, dismissed most of the Board of Trustees during his first weeks in office and replaced them with his own appointees. In February 2025, the new board announced that they had elected Trump as chairman.

White House press secretary Karoline Leavitt claimed in a social media post that the board voted to rename the Center “because of the unbelievable work President Trump has done over the last year in saving the building.”

Related Articles

Democrats say GOP 'snuck in' renaming Kennedy Center Opera House for Melania Trump

"Not only from the standpoint of its reconstruction, but also financially, and its reputation. Congratulations to President Donald J. Trump, and likewise, congratulations to President Kennedy, because this will be a truly great team long into the future! The building will no doubt attain new levels of success and grandeur," Leavitt continued.

House Democratic Rep. Joyce Beatty, who serves as an ex officio member of the Center’s board, sued Trump on Monday, arguing that the board’s vote to rename the building was illegal because an act of Congress is required for such an action.

Asked for comment on the lawsuit, White House spokesperson Liz Huston instead told ABC News in a statement on Monday that the Kennedy Center's board voted to rename it after Trump "stepped up and saved the old Kennedy Center ..."

ABC News’ Hannah Demissie, Isabella Murray, Michelle Stoddart, Karen Travers, Lauren Peller and Alex Ederson contributed to this report.

Up Next in News—

Rip current risk at onset of Memorial Day Weekend: How to stay safe

May 22, 2026

What to know about 'Lulu's Law' requiring emergency shark attack notifications

May 21, 2026

Father, daughter speak after Lyft driver is accused of using AI-generated image for damage claim

May 20, 2026

Police officer speaks out after rescuing choking toddler in incident caught on camera

May 20, 2026

Shop GMA Favorites

ABC will receive a commission for purchases made through these links.

Sponsored Content by Taboola

The latest lifestyle and entertainment news and inspiration for how to live your best life - all from Good Morning America.
  • Contests
  • Terms of Use
  • Privacy Policy
  • Do Not Sell My Info
  • Children’s Online Privacy Policy
  • Advertise with us
  • Your US State Privacy Rights
  • Interest-Based Ads
  • About Nielsen Measurement
  • Press
  • Feedback
  • Shop FAQs
  • ABC News
  • ABC
  • All Videos
  • All Topics
  • Sitemap

© 2026 ABC News
  • Privacy Policy— 
  • Your US State Privacy Rights— 
  • Children's Online Privacy Policy— 
  • Interest-Based Ads— 
  • Terms of Use— 
  • Do Not Sell My Info— 
  • Contact Us— 

© 2026 ABC News