• Video
  • Shop
  • Culture
  • Family
  • Wellness
  • Food
  • Living
  • Style
  • Travel
  • News
  • Book Club
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy Policy
  • Your US State Privacy Rights
  • Children's Online Privacy Policy
  • Interest-Based Ads
  • Terms of Use
  • Do Not Sell My Info
  • Contact Us
  • © 2026 ABC News
  • News

Trump administration announces pause on asylum decisions after National Guardsmen shooting

1:55
Trump admin announces pause on asylum decisions after National Guardsmen shooting
The White House
ByJack Moore
November 29, 2025, 12:14 AM

The Trump administration announced on Friday that it is pausing all asylum decisions following the shooting of two National Guard members in Washington, D.C., earlier this week.

U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services Director Joseph Edlow said all asylum decisions are being halted “until we can ensure that every alien is vetted and screened to the maximum degree possible.”

The announcement comes after President Donald Trump said on Thursday he would "permanently pause migration" from some countries. At the time, he did not specify which countries the pause would affect, but said it would apply to "Third World Countries."

Related Articles

1 of 2 National Guard members wounded in 'targeted shooting' has died, Trump says

Additionally, the State Department has "immediately" paused issuing visas for travelers with Afghan passports.

Secretary of State Marco Rubio posted a statement on X, saying, "President Trump’s State Department has paused visa issuance for ALL individuals traveling on Afghan passports. The United States has no higher priority than protecting our nation and our people."

In June, Trump issued a proclamation banning travel to the U.S. from 12 countries, mostly in Africa and the Middle East, and imposing travel restrictions on several others.

In the post on Thursday, Trump also listed a number of actions he said the U.S. would take, though it’s not yet clear how the Trump administration plans to accomplish them.

President Donald Trump delivers remarks on the attack in Washington on the National Guard soldiers during an address from Palm Beach, Fla., Nov. 26, 2025.
The White House

He said the U.S. would "terminate all of the millions of Biden illegal admissions, including those signed by Sleepy Joe Biden’s Autopen, and remove anyone who is not a net asset to the United States, or is incapable of loving our Country, end all Federal benefits and subsidies to noncitizens of our Country, denaturalize migrants who undermine domestic tranquility, and deport any Foreign National who is a public charge, security risk, or non-compatible with Western Civilization."

The suspect in Wednesday's shooting, which claimed the life of one National Guard member and left the other in critical condition, is 29-year-old Rahmanullah Lakanwal.

Related Articles

What to know about the 29-year-old suspected gunman in the National Guardsmen shooting

Officials say Lakanwal came to the U.S. in 2021 during the Biden administration. He was granted asylum in April 2025 under Trump, according to multiple law enforcement sources.

In Afghanistan, the suspect was involved with the Zero Unit, working closely with the CIA and the Joint Special Operations Command, according to sources familiar with the investigation. The suspect was a trusted member of that team, which went after U.S. counterterrorism targets, according to sources.

Trump has vowed an immigration crackdown following the shooting, saying Wednesday the attack "underscores the greatest national security threat facing our nation."

Related Articles

Trump vows immigration crackdown following DC shooting of National Guard members

In the past, Democrats and immigration advocates have pushed back against the president's immigration restrictions, including on asylum seekers, contending that he has exaggerated national security concerns and turned away millions of families in need.

Trump ordered National Guard troops to Washington this summer. He has also ordered members of the National Guard to other Democrat-led cities such as Chicago and Portland, Oregon.

Up Next in News—

What to know about 'Lulu's Law' requiring emergency shark attack notifications

May 21, 2026

Father, daughter speak after Lyft driver is accused of using AI-generated image for damage claim

May 20, 2026

Police officer speaks out after rescuing choking toddler in incident caught on camera

May 20, 2026

Google DeepMind CEO says AI could unlock breakthroughs in medicine, energy and more

May 20, 2026

Shop GMA Favorites

ABC will receive a commission for purchases made through these links.

Sponsored Content by Taboola

The latest lifestyle and entertainment news and inspiration for how to live your best life - all from Good Morning America.
  • Contests
  • Terms of Use
  • Privacy Policy
  • Do Not Sell My Info
  • Children’s Online Privacy Policy
  • Advertise with us
  • Your US State Privacy Rights
  • Interest-Based Ads
  • About Nielsen Measurement
  • Press
  • Feedback
  • Shop FAQs
  • ABC News
  • ABC
  • All Videos
  • All Topics
  • Sitemap

© 2026 ABC News
  • Privacy Policy— 
  • Your US State Privacy Rights— 
  • Children's Online Privacy Policy— 
  • Interest-Based Ads— 
  • Terms of Use— 
  • Do Not Sell My Info— 
  • Contact Us— 

© 2026 ABC News