• Video
  • Shop
  • Culture
  • Family
  • Wellness
  • Food
  • Living
  • Style
  • Travel
  • News
  • Book Club
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy Policy
  • Your US State Privacy Rights
  • Children's Online Privacy Policy
  • Interest-Based Ads
  • Terms of Use
  • Do Not Sell My Info
  • Contact Us
  • Recalls and Product Safety Alerts
  • © 2026 ABC News
  • News

Ukraine launches 600 drones toward Moscow in major barrage, mayor says

3:54
Zelenskyy: For 1st time, Russia can't wage war without North Korean reinforcements
Tatyana Makeyeva/AFP via Getty Images
ByDavid Brennan
August 16, 2026, 12:00 PM

LONDON -- Russian air defenses in the Moscow region shot down at least 201 Ukrainian drones overnight and into Sunday morning, according to a statement from the city's Mayor Sergey Sobyanin, in what appeared to be Ukraine's largest wave of drone attacks on the Russian capital of the war to date.

The 201 drones downed were among around 600 craft that were launched in the direction of Moscow between Saturday evening and early Sunday morning, Sobyanin said in a series of statements posted to Telegram. 

Sobyanin did not report any damage or casualties, though said that emergency responders had been deployed to the site of fallen debris.

Moscow's regional Gov. Andrey Vorobyov, though, reported in a post to Telegram that one person was killed in the capital's Ramensky district when a drone fell on a residential property.

A firefighting helicopter prepares to drop a load of water during a fire at Russian e-commerce firm Wildberries' logistics complex near the town of Podolsk, outside Moscow, on Aug. 16, 2026.
Tatyana Makeyeva/AFP via Getty Images

Related Articles

Ukraine scales up drone attacks in Moscow, across Russia to record highs, data shows

Russia's Defense Ministry said its forces downed at least 822 Ukrainian drones overnight. The craft were shot down over 16 Russian regions, occupied Crimea, the Sea of Azov and the Black Sea.

Local officials reported that five people were killed by a drone attack in the Rostov region and that one person was killed in a drone attack on a bus in the Belgorod region.

Ukrainian forces also again targeted facilities belonging to Russia's e-commerce giant Wildberries. The company reported a fire at a warehouse in the city of Podolsk to the south of Moscow.

The Ukrainian missile and drone production company Fire Point said in a post to Telegram that its weapons were used to attack "a Wildberries logistics hub" in Kolyadino in Podolsk.

Wildberries warehouses burn following a Ukrainian drone attack, according to the regional governor, in Koledino, Podolsk, in the Moscow region of Russia, on Aug. 16, 2026, in this still image obtained from social media video.
Social Media/via Reuters

Related Articles

'The damage is enormous': Ukraine grapples with record-breaking Russian missile strikes

Russia's federal air transport agency, Rosaviatsiya, reported temporary flight restrictions at airports in Kaluga, Tambov, Gelendzhik and Sochi, as well as at three of Moscow's four international airports -- Vnukovo, Domedodovo and Zhukovsky.

Russia continued its own long-range strike campaign on Ukraine overnight. Ukraine's air force said Russian forces launched several missiles and 106 drones into the country in its latest barrage, of which three missiles and 85 drones were shot down or otherwise suppressed.

Impacts of Russian munitions were reported across 13 locations, the air force said.

Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy said in a post to Telegram that at least six people were injured in the capital Kyiv and across the surrounding region.

Two people were killed by Russian strikes in Zelenskyy's home city of Kryvyi Rih, the president wrote, as was one person in the northeastern city of Sumy. Two more people were killed in the southern Zaporizhzhia region, local officials there said.

This handout photograph taken and released by the Ukrainian State Emergency Service on Aug. 16, 2026 shows rescuers working at the site of a Russian strike in Kyiv.
Handout/Ukrainian State Emergency Servic

Related Articles

NATO ally Romania reports increased rate of Russian drone incursions, fighter alerts

"When North Korean ballistic missiles destroy infrastructure and take lives here, in Europe, we cannot allow European interceptors to simply remain in storage," Zelenskyy wrote, in another appeal to foreign partners to bolster Kyiv's thinning stocks of air defense munitions.

"Protecting lives is essential. Russia must be stopped. New aid packages represent, quite literally, lives saved and infrastructure protected every day," Zelenskyy said.

Amid Russia's latest barrage, at least one drone was reported as having crossed into NATO airspace in Romania, from the direction of Moldova. The Defense Ministry in Bucharest said in a statement that the craft was tracked and shot down by a Spanish F-18 fighter jet.

Up Next in News—

Lindsay Clancy said she was 'so glad' kids were 'safe' after killing them, chaplain testifies

August 20, 2026

Lindsay Clancy jury sent home for the day due to 'unforeseen circumstance'

August 19, 2026

'She was begging for help': Lindsay Clancy's former mother-in-law testifies

August 18, 2026

Opening statements in Meta's latest social media addiction trial begin

August 18, 2026

Shop GMA Favorites

ABC will receive a commission for purchases made through these links.

Sponsored Content by Taboola

The latest lifestyle and entertainment news and inspiration for how to live your best life - all from Good Morning America.
  • Contests
  • Terms of Use
  • Privacy Policy
  • Do Not Sell My Info
  • Children’s Online Privacy Policy
  • Advertise with us
  • Your US State Privacy Rights
  • Interest-Based Ads
  • About Nielsen Measurement
  • Press
  • Feedback
  • Shop FAQs
  • ABC News
  • ABC
  • All Videos
  • All Topics
  • Sitemap
  • Recalls and Product Safety Alerts

© 2026 ABC News
  • Privacy Policy— 
  • Your US State Privacy Rights— 
  • Children's Online Privacy Policy— 
  • Interest-Based Ads— 
  • Terms of Use— 
  • Do Not Sell My Info— 
  • Contact Us— 
  • Recalls and Product Safety Alerts— 

© 2026 ABC News