• Video
  • Shop
  • Culture
  • Family
  • Wellness
  • Food
  • Living
  • Style
  • Travel
  • News
  • Book Club
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy Policy
  • Your US State Privacy Rights
  • Children's Online Privacy Policy
  • Interest-Based Ads
  • Terms of Use
  • Do Not Sell My Info
  • Contact Us
  • © 2026 ABC News
  • News

US accepts 'unconditional donation' of Qatari jet, cost of retrofitting is classified: Sources

2:43
US formally accepts Qatari jet as new Air Force One
Roberto Schmidt/AFP via Getty Images
ByAnne Flaherty
July 28, 2025, 9:40 PM

The Trump administration has accepted the “unconditional donation” of a luxury jet from Qatar, with no stipulation on what should happen to the aircraft after President Donald Trump leaves office, according to an agreement reviewed by ABC News.

The memorandum of understanding, or MOU, was signed earlier this month by Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth and Qatar’s Minister of State for Defense Affairs, Soud bin Abdulrahman Al-Thani.

The deal paves the way for the Air Force to begin the process of retrofitting the plane -- dubbed a “flying palace” because of its luxurious finishes -- for the president’s use.

Related Articles

MORE: Pentagon accepts luxury jet from Qatar to use as Air Force One

Sources told ABC News earlier this year that after the president left office, the plan called for transferring ownership of the plane to the Trump presidential library foundation.

A Qatari Boeing 747 sits on the tarmac of Palm Beach International airport after President Donald Trump toured the aircraft, Feb. 15, 2025.
Roberto Schmidt/AFP via Getty Images

The cost of refurbishing the plane is classified, although lawmakers have speculated that it could cost as much as $1 billion.

The Air Force referred questions on the deal to Hegseth's office, which referred a reporter back to the Air Force.

“Why would we ask the American taxpayer to spend upwards of $1 billion on a plane that would then only be used for a handful of months and then transfer directly to the president? That doesn't sound like a wise use of taxpayer dollars,” said Sen. Chris Murphy, D-N.Y., during a Senate hearing in June.

Related Articles

MORE: Qatar's luxury jet donation poses significant security risks, experts say

Air Force Secretary Troy Meink told lawmakers that the money to refurbish the jet would be pulled from a program intended to replace aging nuclear missiles, called the Sentinel intercontinental ballistic missile program.

But Meink said the Sentinel nuclear program, which is over budget, wouldn’t be immediately impacted because it was being restructured.

Trump has long complained about the primary aircraft used in the current Air Force One fleet, which are Boeing 747-200 jumbo jets that have been operational since 1990. The Air Force is under contract with Boeing to replace those aircraft.

“The aircraft is donated in its current condition (“as is”), without any guarantees or warranties, unless otherwise agreed upon in future arrangements,” the new memo states.

“The donation is unconditional, and the aircraft may be used or disposed of by the DOD in its sole discretion, in any manner it deems appropriate, so long as such use or disposal remains in accordance with United States laws,” the memo later adds.

Nothing in the agreement should be “interpreted or construed” as “an offer, promise, or acceptance of any form of bribery, undue influence, or corrupt practice,” the memo adds, calling it a “bona fide gift.”

The Washington Post first reported the details of the agreement.

Up Next in News—

Rip current risk at onset of Memorial Day Weekend: How to stay safe

May 22, 2026

What to know about 'Lulu's Law' requiring emergency shark attack notifications

May 21, 2026

Father, daughter speak after Lyft driver is accused of using AI-generated image for damage claim

May 20, 2026

Police officer speaks out after rescuing choking toddler in incident caught on camera

May 20, 2026

Shop GMA Favorites

ABC will receive a commission for purchases made through these links.

Sponsored Content by Taboola

The latest lifestyle and entertainment news and inspiration for how to live your best life - all from Good Morning America.
  • Contests
  • Terms of Use
  • Privacy Policy
  • Do Not Sell My Info
  • Children’s Online Privacy Policy
  • Advertise with us
  • Your US State Privacy Rights
  • Interest-Based Ads
  • About Nielsen Measurement
  • Press
  • Feedback
  • Shop FAQs
  • ABC News
  • ABC
  • All Videos
  • All Topics
  • Sitemap

© 2026 ABC News
  • Privacy Policy— 
  • Your US State Privacy Rights— 
  • Children's Online Privacy Policy— 
  • Interest-Based Ads— 
  • Terms of Use— 
  • Do Not Sell My Info— 
  • Contact Us— 

© 2026 ABC News