Nordstrom just made a commitment to Black-owned businesses.
The store has become the first major retailer to commit to a 10-year agreement with the 15 Percent Pledge, a nonprofit that holds large corporations accountable for supporting Black-owned brands. "Long-term societal change cannot happen overnight and we're in this for the long haul," said president and chief brand officer Peter Nordstrom in a statement.
Nordstrom -- which joins other retailers including Macy's, Old Navy and Sephora in the commitment to 15 Percent Pledge's mission -- announced it would increase its purchases and partnerships with Black-owned or founded retailers tenfold by the end of 2030. "Nordstrom has established new goals and benchmarks to help it become a more diverse, inclusive and anti-racist organization, and has made strides towards these goals through notable product launches and curations," 15 Percent Pledge said in a statement.
What is the 15 Percent Pledge?
Created in 2020 by Aurora James, the 15 Percent Pledge is a nonprofit organization that aims to get retailers to commit 15% of their shelf space to products from Black-owned businesses.
According to 15percentpledge.org: "Over 13% of people living in the United States identify as Black and another estimated 2% identify as mixed race, totaling 15%." What started out as an Instagram post now has nearly 30 major retailers across three countries addressing racial inequities in retail.
Nordstrom's announcement comes as the company highlights Black-owned brands on its site. Scroll down to see some of the Black-owned or founded brands that are trailblazing in the fashion industry.
By clicking on these shopping links, visitors will leave Goodmorningamerica.com. These eCommerce sites are operated under different terms and privacy policies than Goodmorningamerica.com. ABC will receive a commission for purchases made through these links.
Bernard James creates exquisite handcrafted jewelry. His goal is to create wearable but aesthetically strong objects that tell a story and convey emotion.
Meena Harris created this fashion line for whenever women just need a boost; a feeling of strength and power; or a reminder to keep going.
Rebecca Allen's mission is to treat customers with timelessly sophisticated shoes that fit well and feel great.
Good Man Brand and Human Nation
Russell and Ciara Wilson's brand stands for how they do good in the business of fashion by doing good in the world.
Kwame Molden and Maurice Davis grew up together and they share the values and the vision that led to the bold and bright watch brand SPGBK.