• Video
  • Shop
  • Culture
  • Family
  • Wellness
  • Food
  • Living
  • Style
  • Travel
  • News
  • Book Club
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy Policy
  • Your US State Privacy Rights
  • Children's Online Privacy Policy
  • Interest-Based Ads
  • Terms of Use
  • Do Not Sell My Info
  • Contact Us
  • © 2026 ABC News
  • Wellness

Public transportation shut down in Wuhan, city at center of coronavirus outbreak

4:14
WHO convened emergency committee on new coronavirus
Emily Wang/AP
ByErin Schumaker
January 22, 2020, 8:43 PM

Authorities in Wuhan, the city at the center of the new coronavirus outbreak, are shutting down public transportation beginning on Thursday, according to CCTV, China's state television network.

Barring emergencies, residents of the 11-million-person city will be prohibited from leaving the city or using buses, subways or ferries.

So far, 17 people have died from the new coronavirus and more than 440 have been sickened. There been additional cases reported among travelers from countries outside of China, including a patient in the United States.

Related Articles

MORE: What we know about the new coronavirus fueling worldwide anxiety

The travel suspension, meant to stem the spread of the disease, comes days before Chinese New Year, when millions are expected to be traveling.

A World Health Organization committee that met Wednesday to decide whether to declare the virus a "public health emergency of international concern" postponed that decision until at least Thursday, when the committee plans to reconvene.

Health Officials in hazmat suits wait at the gate to check body temperatures of passengers arriving from the city of Wuhan Wednesday, Jan. 22, 2020, at the airport in Beijing, China.
Emily Wang/AP

To earn that WHO designation, the outbreak would have to rise to the level of being "an extraordinary event" that endangers international public health, according to the WHO's procedural guidelines.

"I take it extremely seriously," Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, director general at the WHO, said at a news conference after Wednesday's meeting. "It was also clear that to proceed we need more information."

Related Articles

MORE: 1st confirmed case of new coronavirus reported in US: CDC

Should the new virus be declared a public health emergency, that would "substantially impede travel in and out of China for both commercial and tourist reasons," Dr. William Schaffner, medical director of the National Foundation for Infectious Diseases, told ABC News.

"That would also suggest that other countries not accept tourists and visitors for whatever reason from China," Schaffner added. "It really inhibits a lot of commercial work."

While the situation in China is fluid, Schaffner said he thinks it's somewhat unlikely that the WHO will declare it an emergency.

"At the moment, it is a local problem with a little bit of exportation to other countries, but not in a major way," he said.

Only a handful of outbreaks, including the Ebola outbreak in West Africa, the influenza pandemic and Zika virus, have been serious and widespread enough to constitute an international emergency.

Previous outbreaks of SARS and MERS, diseases in the same family as the new coronavirus, weren't deemed an international emergency.

Related Articles

MORE: WHO declares Congo Ebola outbreak a public health emergency of international concern

The WHO meetings come as President Donald Trump met with world and business leaders at the World Economic Forum in Davos, Switzerland, this week.

"We have it totally under control," Trump said of first coronavirus case in the United States, referring to the patient in Washington state.

Health Officials in hazmat suits check body temperatures of passengers arriving from the city of Wuhan, Jan. 22, 2020, at the airport in Beijing, China.
Emily Wang/AP

The patient, a man in his 30s who traveled to Wuhan, said he didn't visit the seafood and live-animal market at which the virus is believed to have originated.

"I'd encourage the public to stay abreast of the situation," Dr. Jeanne Marrazzo, division director of infectious diseases at the University of Alabama at Birmingham, told ABC News. "Certainly, think twice about traveling to China at this point."

She pointed to the patient in Washington state, who'd read about the outbreak in Wuhan, then sought treatment and informed health care providers of his recent travel promptly after developing symptoms.

The man, still hospitalized, last was listed in good condition, according to health officials in Washington state and at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, who also are trying to determine whether any individuals the patient came in contact with were exposed to the virus.

Up Next in Wellness—

Boy suffers stroke at age 7, dad credited with recognizing warning signs

May 19, 2026

Baby born at 22 weeks, 3 days goes home from hospital ahead of 1st birthday

May 15, 2026

What parents should know about talking to kids about hantavirus

May 13, 2026

American who survived hantavirus in 1993 outbreak describes her symptoms and recovery

May 12, 2026

Shop GMA Favorites

ABC will receive a commission for purchases made through these links.

Sponsored Content by Taboola

The latest lifestyle and entertainment news and inspiration for how to live your best life - all from Good Morning America.
  • Contests
  • Terms of Use
  • Privacy Policy
  • Do Not Sell My Info
  • Children’s Online Privacy Policy
  • Advertise with us
  • Your US State Privacy Rights
  • Interest-Based Ads
  • About Nielsen Measurement
  • Press
  • Feedback
  • Shop FAQs
  • ABC News
  • ABC
  • All Videos
  • All Topics
  • Sitemap

© 2026 ABC News
  • Privacy Policy— 
  • Your US State Privacy Rights— 
  • Children's Online Privacy Policy— 
  • Interest-Based Ads— 
  • Terms of Use— 
  • Do Not Sell My Info— 
  • Contact Us— 

© 2026 ABC News