Morgan Wallen is speaking out amid the fallout from a video of him shouting a racial slur that was leaked last week.
In a five-minute video posted online Wednesday, the chart-topping country singer, 27, asked his fans to stop defending his behavior.
"I let so many people down," said Wallen, who also said that he spent the past week apologizing to those most impacted by his words and that he's been meeting with Black leaders to "engage in some very real and honest conversations."MORE: NAACP Nashville president offers conversation with Morgan Wallen about racial slur
"One thing I've learned already that I'm specifically sorry for is that my words matter, that words can truly hurt a person, and at my core that's not what I'm okay with," said Wallen. "I know what I'm going through this week doesn't even compare to some of the trials I heard about from them."
"Our actions matter, our words matter, and I just want to encourage anyone watching to please learn from my mistake," he said, before asking a "favor" from his fans. "I appreciate those who still see something in me and have defended me. But, for today, please don't. I was wrong. It's on me to take ownership for this and I fully accept any penalties I'm facing."
He also spoke about a lifestyle change he said he has made since the video's release.
"Since that video was taken, I've been sober for nine days," he said. "It's not all that long of a time, but it's enough to know that the man in that video is not the man that I'm trying to be."
"I've had this week to think about times when I'm sober and I'm really proud of who I am and my actions for the most part in those moments," he added. "When I look on the times that I'm not, it seems to be where the majority of my mistakes are made."MORE: Morgan Wallen barred from ACM Award eligibility
After the video of the country singer using vulgar language was released by TMZ on Tuesday, he was suspended from his record label, Big Loud Records, dropped from multiple radio companies, removed from CMT and barred from ACM Award eligibility -- among other repercussions.
Wallen was also dropped by talent agency WME, ABC News confirmed last Thursday. At the time of the TMZ video's release, the former "Voice" contestant said he was "embarrassed and sorry."
"I used an unacceptable and inappropriate racial slur that I wish I could take back," he said in a statement obtained by "Good Morning America" last Wednesday. "There are no excuses to use this type of language, ever. I want to sincerely apologize for using the word. I promise to do better."
In his new update, Wallen said he plans to "go off the grid for a little while and get used to making good decisions."
"Who knows if I'll be able to live down all the mistakes I've made, but I'm certainly going to try," he said. "I'm going to spend some time taking back control of my habit, living healthy and being proud of my actions."
"The timing of my return is solely upon me and the work I put in," he said. "I still have a lot of really good people in my corner trying to help me and I appreciate you more than you know. This entire situation is ugly right now, but I'll keep searching for ways to become the example instead of being made one."
Despite the controversy, Wallen's latest album, "Dangerous: The Double Album," remains at the top of the Billboard 200 chart.