ABC News February 20, 2025

Former Spanish soccer chief Luis Rubiales found guilty of sexual assault for kissing player at World Cup

WATCH: Spain’s ex-soccer president on trial for sexual assault

Former Spanish soccer federation president Luis Rubiales has been found guilty of sexual assault stemming from his nonconsensual kiss of footballer Jenni Hermoso at the 2023 World Cup final.

Spain beat England 1-0, taking home the 2023 World Cup title. Rubiales kissed Hermoso without her consent during the team's trophy ceremony, which was captured on video and in photos.

Rubiales was suspended from his position in August 2023 after the incident. Nearly the entire coaching staff has resigned amid the controversy.

Thomas Coex/AFP via Getty Images
Spain's footballer Jennifer Hermoso arrives at the court of San Fernando de Henares, east of Madrid, on February 3, 2025, in the case against former president of the Spanish football federation Luis Rubiales, accused of sex assault and coercion over forcible kiss on her lips during the 2023 Women's World Cup medal ceremony.
Franck Fife/AFP via Getty Images
Spain's defender #20 Rocio Galvez is congratuled by President of the Royal Spanish Football Federation Luis Rubiales (R) next to Spain's Jennifer Hermoso after winning the Australia and New Zealand 2023 Women's World Cup final football match between Spain and England at Stadium Australia in Sydney on August 20, 2023.

Rubiales had claimed that the kiss was consensual, but Hermoso publicly denied that claim.

MORE: FIFA suspends Spanish soccer federation president over conduct, unwanted kiss

After refusing to resign amid pressure from the Spanish government, players, soccer clubs and officials, he later stepped down from his position. In October 2023, Rubiales was banned by FIFA from all soccer activities for three years.

The incident triggered protests and fed into the wider discussion about sexism and consent.

Violeta Santos Moura/Reuters
Luis Rubiales arrives at the National Court in Madrid, Spain, February 12, 2025.

Rubiales could face more than a year in prison.

Last year, a judge said there was enough evidence for Rubiales and three other former executives with the Royal Spanish Football Federation to go to trial.

MORE: Prosecutors seeking 2.5-year prison sentence for former Spain soccer chief over World Cup kiss

Prosecutors asked for a two-and-a-half-year sentence for Rubiales, arguing he held Hermoso's head without her consent and that the nonconsensual kiss had personal and professional consequences for the soccer player, prosecutors told ABC News. He could also face a fine of at least 50,000 euros ($54,000), prosecutors said.

Prosecutors asked for Rubiales to be prohibited from communicating with or coming within a 200-meter radius of Hermoso.

The prosecutor's office said it also requested one-and-a-half years in prison for the three former executives who the judge said may have put pressure on Hermoso to say it was a consensual kiss.

-ABC News' Aicha El Hammar Castano contributed to this report