• Video
  • Shop
  • Culture
  • Family
  • Wellness
  • Food
  • Living
  • Style
  • Travel
  • News
  • Book Club
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy Policy
  • Your US State Privacy Rights
  • Children's Online Privacy Policy
  • Interest-Based Ads
  • Terms of Use
  • Do Not Sell My Info
  • Contact Us
  • Recalls and Product Safety Alerts
  • © 2026 ABC News
  • Culture

Prince Harry, Meghan Markle have not decided how long they'll stay in UK, source says

2:46
Harry and Meghan move back to UK
Vito Amati/The David Foster Foundation via
ByShafiq Najib
August 23, 2026, 7:26 PM

Prince Harry and Meghan, the Duchess of Sussex, haven't decided exactly how long they will stay in the United Kingdom as they prepare to move back with their two children, ABC News has learned.

The Duke and Duchess of Sussex plan to stay in the U.K. for an "extended period of time" and see how it goes, according to a source familiar with the matter.

Related Articles

Meghan Markle to return to acting with move back to UK: Report

School placements for the couple's children, Prince Archie and Princess Lilibet, were part of the decision concerning the timing of the family's move, but a source told ABC News there were also many things that fell into place.

Harry and Meghan's planned return comes six years after they stepped away from their roles as senior working members of the royal family and moved to California.

Prince Harry, Duke of Sussex (L) and Meghan, Duchess of Sussex attend the David Foster Foundation 40th Anniversary Celebration on August 07, 2026 in Victoria, British Columbia.
Vito Amati/The David Foster Foundation via

The couple have not commented publicly on their planned move and are not expected to return to royal duties.

ABC News previously learned that Harry's father, King Charles III, was informed of the couple's decision on Aug. 16, just days before news of the move was first reported.

A source familiar with the matter previously told ABC News that Charles is looking forward to seeing more of the family when they return to the U.K.

Related Articles

Royal experts explain Prince Harry, Meghan's planned move back to UK

Harry and Meghan have made only two visits to the U.K. with their children since 2020: once in 2022 to attend the late Queen Elizabeth II's Platinum Jubilee and again this past July.

Charles and Queen Camilla hosted Harry, Meghan and their children during the July trip, marking the first time in four years that they had seen the four of them in person.

Related Articles

Prince Harry, Meghan Markle's UK return puts spotlight on King Charles, Prince William tensions

Neither Buckingham Palace nor a spokesperson for the Sussexes commented publicly on the family meeting.

Harry has made other visits to the U.K. over the years, including visits with Charles following the king's cancer diagnosis in 2024.

Related Topics

  • Harry and Meghan

Up Next in Culture—

Prince Harry, Meghan Markle have not decided how long they'll stay in UK, source says

August 23, 2026

Anna Paquin speaks out about child stars after Hayden Panettiere's death

August 22, 2026

'Avengers: Doomsday': Trailers, tickets, release date and what to watch before Marvel movie's release

August 21, 2026

Prince Harry, Meghan Markle's UK return puts spotlight on King Charles, Prince William tensions

August 21, 2026

Shop GMA Favorites

ABC will receive a commission for purchases made through these links.

Sponsored Content by Taboola

The latest lifestyle and entertainment news and inspiration for how to live your best life - all from Good Morning America.
  • Contests
  • Terms of Use
  • Privacy Policy
  • Do Not Sell My Info
  • Children’s Online Privacy Policy
  • Advertise with us
  • Your US State Privacy Rights
  • Interest-Based Ads
  • About Nielsen Measurement
  • Press
  • Feedback
  • Shop FAQs
  • ABC News
  • ABC
  • All Videos
  • All Topics
  • Sitemap
  • Recalls and Product Safety Alerts

© 2026 ABC News
  • Privacy Policy— 
  • Your US State Privacy Rights— 
  • Children's Online Privacy Policy— 
  • Interest-Based Ads— 
  • Terms of Use— 
  • Do Not Sell My Info— 
  • Contact Us— 
  • Recalls and Product Safety Alerts— 

© 2026 ABC News