• Video
  • Shop
  • Culture
  • Family
  • Wellness
  • Food
  • Living
  • Style
  • Travel
  • News
  • Book Club
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy Policy
  • Your US State Privacy Rights
  • Children's Online Privacy Policy
  • Interest-Based Ads
  • Terms of Use
  • Do Not Sell My Info
  • Contact Us
  • Recalls and Product Safety Alerts
  • © 2026 ABC News
  • Culture

Prince Harry and Meghan planning to move back to the UK: Source

1:47
Headlines from ABC News Live
Vito Amati/The David Foster Foundation via Getty Images
ByMelanie Schmitz
August 19, 2026, 10:50 PM

Prince Harry and his wife Meghan, the Duchess of Sussex, are planning to move back to the United Kingdom, ABC News has confirmed.

A source familiar with the matter said Wednesday that the couple will remain private individuals and non-working royals, as they have been since stepping down from their senior royal roles in 2020.

Related Articles

Meghan Markle shares new family photos featuring Lilibet, Archie

Harry and Meghan moved to California that same year, where they have been living with their two children, Prince Archie and Princess Lilibet.

Harry's father, King Charles III, was first made aware of the couple's plans on Sunday and is said to welcome the opportunity to see more of the Sussex family.

The king is currently at Balmoral, the royal family's residence in Scotland, on summer holiday.

Prince Harry, Duke of Sussex and Meghan, Duchess of Sussex attend the David Foster Foundation 40th Anniversary Celebration on Aug. 7, 2026, in Victoria, British Columbia.
Vito Amati/The David Foster Foundation via Getty Images

News of the family's move back to the U.K. was first reported by The Telegraph. According to the outlet, Harry and Meghan will retain their current residences in Montecito, California, and Portugal and will live in a "private, non-royal residence" near London.

Archie and Lilibet are enrolled and will begin school in the U.K. in September, the outlet reported.

Buckingham Palace has not commented on the matter.

Charles and his wife, Queen Camilla, met with Harry, Meghan and their two children last month in the U.K., a royal source confirmed to ABC News at the time. The meeting was the first time Charles and Camilla were known to have seen Meghan and their grandchildren since 2022.

Related Articles

King Charles III, Queen Camilla meet with Prince Harry, Meghan and kids in UK

The family's planned move was not raised or discussed with the king and queen during the Sussexes' visit, a source told ABC News this week.

The move comes after Harry lost an appeal last year challenging the British government's decision to reduce his publicly funded security following his and Meghan's decision to step back as senior working royals.

The family's security arrangements moving forward have not been disclosed. The Sussexes have relied on a privately funded security team since moving to California.

Related Topics

  • Harry and Meghan

Up Next in Culture—

Prince Harry and Meghan planning to move back to the UK: Source

August 19, 2026

Why Robin Williams' kids revived his Instagram account more than a decade after his death

August 19, 2026

Hayden Panettiere's ex-boyfriend Brian Hickerson was at the scene when she died: Police report

August 19, 2026

Celine Dion shares health update on stiff-person syndrome ahead of Paris shows

August 18, 2026

Shop GMA Favorites

ABC will receive a commission for purchases made through these links.

Sponsored Content by Taboola

The latest lifestyle and entertainment news and inspiration for how to live your best life - all from Good Morning America.
  • Contests
  • Terms of Use
  • Privacy Policy
  • Do Not Sell My Info
  • Children’s Online Privacy Policy
  • Advertise with us
  • Your US State Privacy Rights
  • Interest-Based Ads
  • About Nielsen Measurement
  • Press
  • Feedback
  • Shop FAQs
  • ABC News
  • ABC
  • All Videos
  • All Topics
  • Sitemap
  • Recalls and Product Safety Alerts

© 2026 ABC News
  • Privacy Policy— 
  • Your US State Privacy Rights— 
  • Children's Online Privacy Policy— 
  • Interest-Based Ads— 
  • Terms of Use— 
  • Do Not Sell My Info— 
  • Contact Us— 
  • Recalls and Product Safety Alerts— 

© 2026 ABC News