• Video
  • Shop
  • Culture
  • Family
  • Wellness
  • Food
  • Living
  • Style
  • Travel
  • News
  • Book Club
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy Policy
  • Your US State Privacy Rights
  • Children's Online Privacy Policy
  • Interest-Based Ads
  • Terms of Use
  • Do Not Sell My Info
  • Contact Us
  • © 2026 ABC News
  • News

Judge Declares Mistrial in Vanderbilt Rape Case Because Juror Hid Being Victim of Sex Assault, Documents Say

1:31
Mistrial in Vanderbilt University Rape Case
Larry McCormack/AP Photo
ByLauren Pearle and Avianne Tan
June 23, 2015, 9:25 PM

— -- The judge in the Vanderbilt University rape case has declared a mistrial, tossing out the verdict for football players Brandon Vandenburg and Cory Batey, who were previously convicted on multiple counts of aggravated rape.

Judge Monte Watkins handed down the ruling Tuesday, which entitles the men to a new trial, in an eight-page written order obtained by ABC News, because the jury foreman failed to disclose that he was once the victim of statutory rape, according to the order.

Related Articles

Vanderbilt Rape Trial Jurors Say Video Evidence Decided Their Guilty Verdict

Related Articles

Vanderbilt Rape Trial: Ex-Football Players Found Guilty

Related Articles

Vanderbilt Football Trial: Alleged Rape Details Emerge

Lawyers for both defendants will be in court tomorrow at 9 a.m. to ask that their bail, set at $350,000 each, be reinstated so the men can leave jail.

The prosecution can appeal this mistrial ruling.

Vandenburg and Batey were previously found guilty of four counts of aggravated rape, one count of attempted aggravated rape and two counts of aggravated sexual battery. Vandenburg was also found guilty of tampering with evidence and unlawful photography after prosecutors claimed he recorded a sexual assault of a female classmate on his phone and shared it with friends.

Prosecutors said the victim, a 21-year-old former neuroscience major and dance team member at the university, was drunk and passed out during the alleged 2013 attack.

The defense argued the young men were not guilty of rape, but rather of making a mistake. Batey's lawyer, Worrick Robinson, claimed that college culture put his client in the situation, but the jurors said they weren't buying that argument.

Two other ex-players accused of being involved in the incident, Brandon Banks and Jaborian McKenzie, also face rape and sexual battery charges, but have not yet gone to trial. They have pleaded not guilty.

ABC News' Lauren Effron contributed to this report.

Up Next in News—

2 suspects identified in stunt at enclosure of viral monkey Punch

May 19, 2026

Climber who survived avalanche on Mount Everest speaks out as he attempts to set a new world record

May 18, 2026

Doctors group releases new drowning prevention recommendations

May 18, 2026

Empty Waymo vehicles swarm Atlanta cul-de-sac

May 15, 2026

Shop GMA Favorites

ABC will receive a commission for purchases made through these links.

Sponsored Content by Taboola

The latest lifestyle and entertainment news and inspiration for how to live your best life - all from Good Morning America.
  • Contests
  • Terms of Use
  • Privacy Policy
  • Do Not Sell My Info
  • Children’s Online Privacy Policy
  • Advertise with us
  • Your US State Privacy Rights
  • Interest-Based Ads
  • About Nielsen Measurement
  • Press
  • Feedback
  • Shop FAQs
  • ABC News
  • ABC
  • All Videos
  • All Topics
  • Sitemap

© 2026 ABC News
  • Privacy Policy— 
  • Your US State Privacy Rights— 
  • Children's Online Privacy Policy— 
  • Interest-Based Ads— 
  • Terms of Use— 
  • Do Not Sell My Info— 
  • Contact Us— 

© 2026 ABC News