Balmain creative director Olivier Rousteing revealed over the weekend that he was seriously injured from a fireplace explosion a year ago.
On Saturday, the beloved designer shared a photo of himself wrapped in a body cast. He also had visible scarring on his face.
"I've been hiding this for too long and it's time for you to know," Rousteing captioned the image he posted to Instagram. "Exactly a year ago, the fireplace inside my house exploded."
He also reflected back on his experience at Paris’ Hôpital Saint Louis, thanking the staff for taking care of him while dealing with a high volume of COVID-19-related cases.
After admitting that he initially hid his experience from as many people as possible, Rousteing said, "I am not really sure why I was so ashamed, maybe this obsession with perfection that fashion is known for and my own insecurities."
He also said that he continued to work while trying to disguise his scars by wearing face masks, turtlenecks, long sleeves and multiple rings on all of his fingers during photo shoots and interviews.
"I truly realized that the power of social media is to reveal only what you want to show," said Rousteing. "Kind of allowing us to create our own special narrative that avoids what we do not wish to see or show: this is our new world."
Rousteing said he now feels healed, happy and healthy. "I realize how truly blessed I am and I thank God everyday of my life," he said.
The famed designer celebrated 10 years with Balmain at his most recent show themed around rebirth and freedom. Top models such as Naomi Campbell, Precious Lee and more walked the runway. Beyoncé also shared a voice message that was played during the extravaganza where she says Rousteing's designs have helped her feel powerful.
Throughout the show, garments reflective of wrapped bandages were seen and inspired by Rousteing's shocking experience.
"I remember the long conversations I had with my doctor @drserror that I can't thank enough and he told me: you will be fine, it's gonna be fine," said Rousteing. "I remember when they took out all my bandages it felt freedom."
"Good Morning America" spoke with a fire expert who said explosions similar to what Rousteing experienced are rare but there are precautions to take.
Fireplace safety tips:
- Ensure your fireplace is up to code.
- Have it cleaned and inspected regularly.
- Never leave a fire unattended.
- If there are unusual odors, it could be a sign of a gas leak.