Deals & Steals for spring self-care!

  • Video
  • Shop
  • Culture
  • Family
  • Wellness
  • Food
  • Living
  • Style
  • Travel
  • News
  • Book Club
  • GMA3: WYNTK
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy Policy
  • Your US State Privacy Rights
  • Children's Online Privacy Policy
  • Interest-Based Ads
  • Terms of Use
  • Do Not Sell My Info
  • Contact Us
  • © 2024 ABC News
  • Culture

Princess Kate seen at farm shop a week after photo editing controversy

VIDEO: Timeline of Kate Middleton’s surgery, recovery and photo controversy
2:30
Timeline of Kate Middleton’s surgery, recovery and photo controversy
Mark Cuthbert/UK Press via Getty Images, FILE
ByKatie Kindelan
March 19, 2024, 1:54 am

Kate, the Princess of Wales, is seen in a new video with Prince William as the pair visited a local farm shop over the weekend in Windsor, England.

The video, newly obtained by TMZ and shared on Monday, is the first video footage the public has seen of Kate since she was hospitalized in mid-January for what Kensington Palace described at the time as planned abdominal surgery. It is also only the third time Kate has been seen in public since late December as questions continue to swirl online about her health and well-being.

The U.K.’s The Sun newspaper was the first to report that Kate was seen over the weekend looking "happy, relaxed and healthy" as she went about her day-to-day life in Windsor, where she and William live with their three children, Princes George and Louis and Princess Charlotte.

In addition to visiting a local farm shop together, Kate and William also reportedly watched their three kids play sports, according to The Sun.

Since January, Kate's extended absence from public duties has caused rumors to swirl online about her health and her marriage to William.

Those rumors only compounded after a photo William and Kate shared on social media on Mother's Day in the U.K. was later retracted by global news agencies due to concerns over "manipulation."

MORE: <a href="https://abcnews.go.com/alerts/uk-royals" id="_ap_link_Kate Middleton_UKRoyals_" target="_blank">Kate Middleton</a>: A timeline of her surgery, recovery and photo controversy

Kate later issued a statement on social media apologizing for the "confusion" caused by the photo.

"Like many amateur photographers, I do occasionally experiment with editing," she said in a statement. "I wanted to express my apologies for any confusion the family photograph we shared yesterday caused. I hope everyone celebrating had a very happy Mother's Day."

Catherine, Princess of Wales attends the Christmas Day service at St Mary Magdalene Church on Dec. 25, 2023 in Sandringham, Norfolk.
Mark Cuthbert/UK Press via Getty Images, FILE

Most royal experts and visual verification experts agreed the editing in Kate's Mother's Day photo seems minor, likely nothing more than an effort by a mom to make herself and her kids look as good as possible.

The fallout from the photo's retraction, however, has left parts of the news media and the public questioning the reliability of the royal family.

Editor’s Picks

Prince William and Kate's 3 kids: What to know about George, Charlotte and Louis

  • Mar 22, 2024

Kate Middleton photo fallout: News agency says palace is no longer trusted source

  • Mar 14, 2024

Meet Kate Middleton's family as she gets support after cancer diagnosis

  • Mar 25, 2024

Last week, a leader of one of the news agencies that retracted the photo, Agence France-Presse, told BBC News Radio that Kensington Palace is no longer considered a trusted source for the agency.

"No, absolutely not," said Phil Chetwynd, global news director at AFP. "Like with anything, when you're let down by a source, the bar is raised."

According to Chetwynd, issuing a "kill notice" for a photograph based on manipulation is a very rare occurrence.

MORE: Kate Middleton's public apology for editing family photo is rare for a royal

Kensington Palace has not commented on the photo beyond the apology issued by Kate.

When Kate was hospitalized in January, the palace said she was not expected to resume public duties until after Easter.

Related Topics

  • Royal Family

Editor’s Picks

Prince William and Kate's 3 kids: What to know about George, Charlotte and Louis

  • Mar 22, 2024

Kate Middleton photo fallout: News agency says palace is no longer trusted source

  • Mar 14, 2024

Meet Kate Middleton's family as she gets support after cancer diagnosis

  • Mar 25, 2024

Up Next in Culture—

Beyonce's 'Cowboy Carter' holds 2024 single-day streaming record for an album on Spotify

March 31, 2024

'Gen V' actor Chance Perdomo dies at 27

March 31, 2024

King Charles leads royal family on Easter Sunday as William, Kate and kids are absent

March 31, 2024

Miley Cyrus shares admiration for Beyoncé after their song on 'Cowboy Carter'

March 29, 2024

Shop Editors Picks

ABC will receive a commission for purchases made through these links.

Sponsored Content by Taboola

The latest lifestyle and entertainment news and inspiration for how to live your best life - all from Good Morning America.
  • Contests
  • Terms of Use
  • Privacy Policy
  • Do Not Sell My Info
  • Children’s Online Privacy Policy
  • Advertise with us
  • Your US State Privacy Rights
  • Interest-Based Ads
  • About Nielsen Measurement
  • Press
  • Feedback
  • ABC News
  • ABC
  • All Videos
  • All Topics
  • Sitemap

© 2024 ABC News